Author Topic: Lesson 1 Where to start? The search  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Thunder Head

• This is Your Life, Your Dreams, Your Business!
    • Billy Payton
Lesson 1 Where to start? The search
« on: June 16, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »
I'm ready to start my search for a tree to cut down. First, is this the right time of year to cut down a tree?
Second, whats the easiest type of tree to work with, and the size I should cut? And how long of a bow do
I start out with? Is there a beginners guide out there I can start with, I did a search and every where I go,
they want you to buy buy buy. But one can stare at a screen so long.

Billy   
If you can Dream it, you can build it!
                                      Walt Disney

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Lesson 1 Where to start? The search
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:46:51 pm »
First tell us where you're at so we know what trees grow around you.  Also, what kind of bow are you looking to make?  I'd suggest a bend in the handle bow.  Something similar to the bows halfeye makes.  Maybe longer or shorter.  Also, plan on making and breaking several bows before you start to get the hang of it.  Now is a good time to cut.  Are you able to ID all the trees in the area you plan to cut?  hmm, I need to make a video on this...
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:57:35 pm »
Thunderhead, One of the best things you could do besides hang out here on PA is to read The Bowyers Bible I and if you don't want to purchase it maybe it's in your local library. It is where I started and made my first primitive bow. I can't say enough about this read...Covers just about everything and more...
                                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 05:18:13 pm »
as above, get the bowyers bible and read a bit about making bows, .....find out what you're doing, and what kind of bow your gonna make.. before you run off and cut trees down
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »
The type of bow is not really relevant since you can make any style of bow from practically any wood species.  Some wood species are better than others though so knowing what you have around you is important
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 06:02:37 pm »
    Billy, don't let the job intimidate you. If you just start carving on wood and posting pics after 2 or 3 bows you will be well on your way. You may even want to start with board bows so you don't have to wait so long for your wood to dry on your first bow.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:25 pm »
You can cut wood anytime of year, the easiest type of wood to work is definetly based on opinion, i try to cut the biggest I can but being new to it smaller saplings will work completely fine,
I like osage

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:48 am »
Pretty simple; Hickory, elm, hop hornbeam, hackberry or locust if you don't have osage in your area, hickory or osage if you do. Cut at least a 6' long portion of the trunk for starters, be very aware of any cat eyes or places where the bark shows he tree has obviously grown over a dead limb. Pick a clean, no limbs or cat eyes, straight tree and you will be patting yours self on the back later when you start laying out your bow and have much more usable area to work from.

Seal the ends as soon as your trunk hits the ground with shellac, poly, wood glue or even a thick coat of rattle can spray paint. Split your trunk into quarters, pull the bark off if you can on white wood like those in the hickory, elm group mentioned above and seal the backs really well. I like shellac for backs, others use other sealers.

And that's about it, you have to stockpile wood to get started or buy staves from some other source.

I really recommend following Poorboy's board bow instructions(Google it) for the first few bows. A $6 oak board from Lowe's is an inexpensive way to start and will keep you busy while your wood stash is drying.