Author Topic: New member from SoCal  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Austin K

New member from SoCal
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:20:16 pm »
Hello wonderful people of PA!
I began shooting compound for a few years but quickly found it to my disliking. I searched around and found places such as this forum, pleasantly surprised that there are people such as yourselves working towards such a lovely craft. It didn't take long for me to traipse down to the lumber yard after a bit of reading. I am having a lot of fun and there's a lot to learn. I broke my first and second bows after they were complete by trying out things on them such as recurving and straightening - experience I utilized to straighten the twists out of this third bow which I recently finished. I offer it up to critique - be as harsh as you please, I rather enjoy reading criticism if it means I get to learn something. Here it is: Red Oak, 65"ntn, 2" wide tapering to 1/2" nocks, ~45-50#@28", 1-1/2" of set.

I am a bit confounded about the tillering process and I've got a couple questions that I haven't thus far found anywhere I've searched. It seems that the shape changes depending on how the bow is placed in relation to the stick and I have been left at a slight loss as to how to ensure the bow will hold up in the long run.
How should the bow be oriented on the tillering stick? (with the handle at a perfect right angle to the stick? with the nock point slightly higher to emulate where I would actually draw the bow?... etc.)
How meticulous does one need to be about this orientation? Shall I use a level, or my eye?

It hasn't a handle wrap. I am undecided on what to do with this bow. Suggestions are welcome.

And that shall be it for my initiation into this forum!  ;D Once again, a big hello to everyone! I look forward to conversing with you!

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: New member from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:26:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum & nice looking bow what stain did you use.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:34:11 pm »
You score a 10 out of 10 for style/grace/ornamentation!  That's a beauty of a bow.  Unfortunately, I have to give you 9 out of 10 for tiller.  The one limb is a little stiff just out of the fade and again out on the tips. 

Now 9/10 means if I was building the bow for myself, I would shut my pie hole and shoot it without reservation!  It's only when I give away a bow that I start to get really picky.  You were a few scrapes here and there from having it nailed, buddy!  I gotta hand it to you, you gotta be a fast learner. 

I look forward to seeing more of your bows.  In fact, I'd bet my eyeteeth you have another started already.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:08:23 pm »
You're right -- it looks a little different in your hand than it does on the stick.

I think it looks good either way. But I do wonder if in the picture you have your string hand a bit high on the string and if that accounts for the difference.  For full draw photos I always make sure my hand placement is where I'm going to have it when I'm really shooting the bow. So I get my bow hand placement right, and then figure out where my nocking point is going to be with a bow square. And then I draw. Unfortunately I see a lot of pictures where guys place their hands way off center, and it usually makes the tiller look wonky.

Blah blah.

It looks really good! If that's your third bow... wow. You're a natural craftsman.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 10:26:39 pm »
  Austin, what part of So Cal are you in? We are getting a few bow builders together in the Los Angeles area. Also a group that meets monthly at Pasadena.

Offline Austin K

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:56:35 pm »
Thank you Rob, I used Rustoleum's cherry black and ebony stains with a polyurethane finish. The trims are gold colored sewing thread. It's a rather glossy finish but for now I do like it that way.

Hello Halverson! I do see that flaw in the tiller now that you've pointed it out.. but if you think it's too little of a bother to repair then I shall keep it as is. Well gee.. if you're giving me the okay on this one, then I shall take that compliment - Thank you. :D I was inspired to go with this style based on one of Gordon's build-along bows but.. there's simply no comparison to a master. You'd be right - I have another stave in the works. I'll be sure to share it with you if and when I get it to bow status.

ezc - I put my hand on the usual nocking point, I'm "aiming" a bit low in the picture. If it looks alright either way then I shall take your word for it. Thank you for the advice - I shall be wary of that problem. - and thank you for the compliment, although I must give credit where it is due: the amazing build-alongs and the advice of the knowledgeable craftsmen here as well as the TBB books really made everything amazingly comprehensive for me and I simply went with what I understood after reading them.

Badger! - I'm very interested in joining! I'm in Riverside nearby Corona so it's a little bit of a drive but definitely in range. I'll definitely think about participating in whatever meet ups you put together. Thank you for the invitation!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:00:56 pm by Austin K »

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »
  Austin, one of the guys I have been helping lives in Riverside and seems to be a very fast learner, maybe you two could hook up also. I am in the procees of redoing my shop to accomadate more than one person, might take about a week.

Offline Austin K

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »
Badger, you're putting a very large smile on my face. I've always been alone in all the hobbies I've ever pursued because the conventions for them and the people who attend them are usually......... far away. No hurry, Thank you for reaching out to me. Pre-adults my age are usually very quick to become interested in these sorts of things and I've managed to catch the interest of a couple... perhaps they could tag along. This could be very, very fun. >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 07:50:58 am »
Welcome and congrats....that's a fine first effort.... You'll catch on quick,and your tiller will get better as you gain more experience and help from others ;)

Offline zenart

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:56:29 am »
Welcome to PA Austin. Ditto what JW said. Very fine bow.

I'm also in So Cal. I guarantee you, if you get to know Badger it would be a great advantage for you. His expertise is extensive and he's very generous sharing his knowledge.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:35 am »
Welcome and congrats on the bow.  Looking forward to seeing your next few!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 09:58:45 am »
Welcome Austin your finish work looks great.  I can't wait to see what you post next.