Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 2678 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Howdy!
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:59:57 pm »
Hello I am an accountant, of all things, in Fayetteville, NC. I live in a nearby village. I am a novice archer, and a hobbyist woodworker.

I get grumpy when I don’t have something going on, so I stay pretty busy. I have had an interest in archery for some time, and when I search archery related topics, the PA site always seems to come up in the results, so I signed on.

I tried a Lowes hardware store red oak board bow and failed - my fault, but probably learned a whole lot more about bow building by failing than I would have if I had made a poor quality red oak board that had worked. Much thanks to those who commented.

I am going to the closest decent lumber yard tomorrow (Raleigh – Capital City Lumber) to try to find a few boards for bows, and some other projects. I am looking for White oak, or hard Maple, or possibly Hickory for bow boards. Wish me luck!

That’s all I got for now, enjoy your weekend!

-Sean

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 11:53:05 pm »
Breakin' is learnin'!

Welcome to the madness we all call primitive archery!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:56:59 pm »
Welcome Sean. Get busy and show us some bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:10:05 am »
You live in NC ? Lots of good wood there instead of buying it, ask, Pat. You live in a village, like in a Hut or something? That's cool. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:31:11 am »
You live in NC ? Lots of good wood there instead of buying it, ask, Pat. You live in a village, like in a Hut or something? That's cool. :)

Yea Mullet, I want to try a board bow first. But there are a few trees I have noticed. I like village... larger than a hamlet, but smaller than a town.!

BTW, I like mullet. I used to cast net them in Sarasota bay when I was younger, and the mullet were a bit more plentiful. Not smoked, fresh!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:55:37 am »
Welcome! I'm with Eddie on all the hickory in your area. BTW, his handle is from his favorite hairstyle :o
Never tried a board but have failed with plenty of staves :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:55 am »
Welcome to PA Sean, once you get to making bows you'll always have something to keep you busy. Impossible to make just one and before long you'll find that it is hard to not have 3-6 going at once so there is always a project at hand, so pick out a handful of those boards while your at the store today. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 01:52:29 pm »
BTW, his handle is from his favorite hairstyle :o

Tracy

At best, it is wishful thinking on his part! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 11:37:14 pm »

[/quote]

Yea Mullet, I want to try a board bow first. But there are a few trees I have noticed. I like village... larger than a hamlet, but smaller than a town.!

BTW, I like mullet. I used to cast net them in Sarasota bay when I was younger, and the mullet were a bit more plentiful. Not smoked, fresh!
[/quote]
I have seen fresh mullet get smoked when it comes to Big Apples.
But I am with mullets when it comes to gettin your own tree wood.
Folks here will give you the skinny.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:24:50 pm »
I'm like the dude in Forrest Gump, I like mullet fried, mullet with grits, mullet smoked, mullet spread, mullet grilled, mullet baked,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »
I'm like the dude in Forrest Gump, I like mullet fried, mullet with grits, mullet smoked, mullet spread, mullet grilled, mullet baked,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

yeah I imagine mullet's been baked before >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹