Author Topic: Just made some firewood!  (Read 3450 times)

Glenn R.

Just made some firewood!
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »
   >:( >:( Just turned a cherry stave into firewood, but I've got an identical sister stave to it. Wow, it really is weak on tension--gonna have to overbuild it and definately apply backing---just curious to see what it would do (sap wood) without the sinew or rawhide---don't imagine it will be the last bow I'll break experimenting with these other woods---on the other hand out of 5 osage bows built have never had one break(osage)-----knock on wood.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Just made some firewood!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 05:07:37 pm »
Sorry for the disappointing outcome on your cherry stave. There's always risk associated with working with new woods for the first time...nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. Hope you have better luck with your other stave. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »
Been there, done that, maybe that sister stave will work out.
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:12:30 am »
Try to over build the next one a bit more and add a simple backing of silk, linen or brown paper. Any of them will help hold the back together. The only cherry bows I ever built were mostly sapwood self bows with a little heartwood in the handle. I used Paul Comstock's "overbuilt" instructions and they all shot well...not great but well.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 01:25:32 pm »
Send the pieces to George Tsoukalas. He uses them for tomato stakes. ;)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 04:53:54 pm »
Hey, Glenn
I've backed cherry with both hickory and maple, and they both turned out very well.