Author Topic: Ipe re-sawing question  (Read 1717 times)

Offline KS51

Ipe re-sawing question
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
I went to my local lumeryard and managed to finally score a nice piece (I think) of Ipe.  Normally, when I re-saw hickory, elm, or oak I would make the boards 1-1/2" wide.  This will be my go with ipe and from what I can tell from searching, I would be better off ripping to 1-1/4 or less.  Can some of you folks with more experience offer some advice.

I should mention, I usually make my bows between 45 and 60 lbs and I have a 29" draw.  Also, I use bamboo backing and TB3 glue and generally reflex the limbs 1" - 2".

The board is 15/16 thick.

Thanks

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Ipe re-sawing question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:19:54 pm »
1 1/4" is fine for a 60# Ipe bow. One thing to remember though is that the larger a board is, the more likely it is to be unstable when cut up (ACCORDING TO MY CURRENT OPINION/ OUTLOOK). So if you go 1 1/2" wide, it will give you some leeway if the board warps for laying out your bow. Your board looks good to me, you can avoid that knot I'm sure. Ipe does make finer dust than woods like hickory when resawn, which is annoying. I run two hoses off my shop van to my bandsaw, one at the normal hook up, and one to catch all the dust that the bandsaw shoots out under the table for woods just like ipe. Some people get really bothered by the dust. I don't mind too much, and I have asthma. It reminds me of bitter unripe almonds for some reason, :). But be sure to wear breathing protection, some people the dust will even irritate their skin.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:54:42 pm »
I havnt had any warpage like tmk has, but if it worries you just cut one 1 1/4" pc and use it, you should get two boo backed bows from one pc
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:11:12 pm »
I JUST finished tillering a Hill replica I glued up from a 38" ipe board end. It is hickory backed. 1" wide tapering to 3/8" tips, 3/4" handle width. The bow measures 69" ntn on the nutz with a 4" handle and 4" fades. I started with 1.5" of glued in reflex and ended with 1", not bad for a sliver. The bow pulls 61 @ 28 and after 50-60 shots is very healthy. So I guess Im saying it takes very little ipe to make a lotta bow. Imagine how thin it would be if you snipped 6" of length off? Its mean wood and goes a long ways.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline KS51

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:22 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  Looking at the end grain, the growth rings run at about a 45, should I consider ripping at an angle so I get flat sawn lumber 1/2 x 1-1/4 ? Or just rip twice and get about the same thing?  How thick are Ipe limbs at the fades  typically?

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
True ipe shouldn't have growth rings.  It's a tropical wood that grows year round hence no froth rings. It does have grain. Is that what you are seeing?  Yes it takes very little ipe for a gods bbi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »
I JUST finished tillering a Hill replica I glued up from a 38" ipe board end. It is hickory backed. 1" wide tapering to 3/8" tips, 3/4" handle width. The bow measures 69" ntn on the nutz with a 4" handle and 4" fades. I started with 1.5" of glued in reflex and ended with 1", not bad for a sliver. The bow pulls 61 @ 28 and after 50-60 shots is very healthy. So I guess Im saying it takes very little ipe to make a lotta bow. Imagine how thin it would be if you snipped 6" of length off? Its mean wood and goes a long ways.

Boy........can we see it?  I shot a Hill for years before starting on selfbows
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline KS51

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54:26 pm »
I must be seeing the grain then, the color distinction on what I am calling rings must just be seasonal effects.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:47 pm »
True ipe shouldn't have growth rings.  It's a tropical wood that grows year round hence no froth rings. It does have grain. Is that what you are seeing?  Yes it takes very little ipe for a gods bbi

I have always been able to tell the rings on the end cut on the Ipe I have used. If it is not Ipe I got, it sure is excellent bow wood either way. Am I confusing rings for grain?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »
I must be seeing the grain then, the color distinction on what I am calling rings must just be seasonal effects.

Maybe that is what I am confusing for rings, is there a way to tell the difference, as it sure looks like rings on the end cut?

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 02:49:12 am »

Maybe that is what I am confusing for rings, is there a way to tell the difference, as it sure looks like rings on the end cut?

It is - of course you can see the rings. It's diffuse porous so there isn't a distinct boundary like a ring porous wood but you can see the grain/rings.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 07:11:07 am »
I was going to mention that, but saved my typing. It has rings. My ipe piece was almost flat sawn with a 1/4 sawn hickory back. Sometimes you just have to touch the ends with sandpaper to see the rings. Ive only made 5-6 hard backed ipe bows and they all had grain running in various directions, never seemed to matter much. Its all about the tiller, as usual.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:57 am »
People who say tropical wood has no growth rings aren't looking closely enough. It is glaringly obvious if you look at an end cut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 12:51:47 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that guys!