Author Topic: First Stave - Elm (BROKEN)  (Read 13339 times)

Offline bubby

Re: First Bow - Elm in Progress (BROKEN)
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14:47 am »
weylin pretty much hit all the points, step back, have a ice cold adult beverage, and get another stave out and make some shavings, try and get a less challenging stave if you can ;),and most important, have fun
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2014, 01:24:02 am »
Thanks Weylin, Dub, bubby

It wasn't as bad as that by the end, I had done a lot of work on the left limb and it was coming around nicely, but you're still probably right.

I definitely used the long string for too long, it kind of snuck up on me, but I'll brace it much earlier next time.

I did a lot of finger checking of thickness taper, and I like that method a lot. Need to get better at it though.

I have a lot of challenging staves in my future, so the punishment will be frequent and painful :P

It was pretty fun, apart from the destruction part  ::)

I also know I could have waited after I first posted this morning for feedback before proceeding, but I decided to go on ahead.

I'm pretty happy, I made some major mistakes at the start which made the rest of it harder than it needed to be, so next time should be better

Offline Richard B

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2014, 06:15:07 am »
Bad luck. Must be very frustrating after all that work. I guess that will make your first working bow that much more satisfying. I am about to do some more tillering on my first bow. I am thinking of moving from the long string to a low brace height now. Fingers crossed!

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2014, 06:45:49 am »
Was a bit for half an hour or so, but ready for the next one now, and will do a lot differently :)

Hope yours goes well Richard