Author Topic: new to primitive archery need some tips  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Hillman87

new to primitive archery need some tips
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:06:25 am »
I'm new to using a recurve bow, I've hunted with a compound for 15+ years and any tips and tricks on technique, gear, and/or any help, I'm wanting to use my own handmade wood arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new to primitive archery need some tips
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:33 am »
First, be sure all of your gear is compatible and that you are comfortable with every aspect of it. After that, practice, practice, practice and when you think you've practiced enough, practice more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:42 am »
What Pat said is great advice, it takes a while but you will get better with practice,work on your form,good anchor point [ same everytime]/clean release ,make sure the arrows are flying true  and then all it takes is some  time. :) Welcome to PA.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:00:02 am »
Shoot for perfection of form before you ever start shooting for accuracy.  About the time you have your form down to an art, you arrows are going where you are looking anyway!

To really fine tune your shooting, take a similarly interested friend in the field with you and go stump shooting.  If that ain't enough fun, shoot a game of "H_O_R_S_E".  Same rules as the basketball game, just with arrows.  Pretty soon you are making up shots that require standing on one foot on a rock, leaning over to see around a tree, to shoot a pine cone off a branch.  Nothing sharpens the eye like a little competition!  Keeps things fun, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:08:21 am »
Your recurve bow wouldn't fall in the primitive category but is the perfect way to start your traditional journey, we almost all started that way. First a recurve, then a longbow and finally a selfbow was the way my journey progressed.

I have to caution you; beware thinking about starting to make your first selfbow, you will be ruined for life, lusting after wood, laying awake at night thinking of golden shavings and imagining the perfect bow tiller you plan to achieve the next day. Then there are the tools; you will want one of everything, hand tools at first, then, power, the bigger the better, it's awful, RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:47:42 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Hillman87

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 01:34:51 pm »
Thank you to all of you like I said any advice will help and to reply to eric I want to eventually make a selfbow and when I do I'll be sure to ask for more advice on how to do it, and thanks for the info.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:29 pm »
Like JW said above - don't forget to have fun. When I first started dabbling into traditional archery and later into making some of my own stuff I swore if it ever stopped being fun I would hang it up. I'm a few years into it now with still no plans on stopping actually it's getting worse like Eric warned you it would!

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:50:40 pm »
Like others have said make it fun,
Join an archery club. Then you will always (almost ) have someone
to compete and laugh with.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 07:25:22 am »
I read the book Zen in the art of archery. This book stressed the importance of correct form. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!