Author Topic: String Jig  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Parnell

String Jig
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:13:44 am »
Made a string jig this evening for Ms. Jade Pickens that I met at The Classic and wanted to learn to twist a string.  I told her I'd get her a jig before long.  Just need to put some oil on it and perhaps something to protect it from when the strings are cut...

I modeled it after one of John P's he gave me years back.  It's my first pretty good one.
1’—>1’

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: String Jig
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:48 am »
Oh yeah, that'll work just fine.  My first didn't look nothing like that.  I used 16d nails in a scrap piece of treated 2x6.  It didn't work very well, but at least it was ugly. >:D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:11:10 am »
Cool! Mine is too long but works. I like the shorter ones but never tried one. Gonna have to see what Ozzy is in need of  >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:00 am »
Busy man lately Steve-o!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:32:39 am »
great job.

I like to write notes on my jig, like how many strands for ## and recurve or longbow loop marks on your scale you put on the side. just an idea.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:15 am »
That's a nice one. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 10:05:00 am »
I made my first string jig in 89 or 90, for a few years I would give my jig away and make another for myself. I have probably had my jig for 20 years now, no telling how many strings have been made on it.

Here is a neat idea for future jigs, feet, so you can hold it firmly between your legs and make strings while sitting in a comfortable chair.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:39:10 am »
I spent a few minutes with Ms. Jade showing her how I twist up a string.  She picked it up pretty dang fast!  Nimble fingers and a quick mind, but a bit too willing to laugh at my lame jokes.  We won't hold that against her, will we?  Tell her hi from me, Mr. P!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 01:53:03 pm »

Nice!  I would like to build one, but then I would have to have someone to show me how to use it!

Wayne

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:29 am »
I spent a few minutes with Ms. Jade showing her how I twist up a string.  She picked it up pretty dang fast!  Nimble fingers and a quick mind, but a bit too willing to laugh at my lame jokes.  We won't hold that against her, will we?  Tell her hi from me, Mr. P!

No chance J Dub.  Only thing I'm gonna git her for is not enrolling in courses!
1’—>1’