Author Topic: Is it common for sugar maples to have rotten piths?  (Read 1012 times)

birdpointlightstring32

Is it common for sugar maples to have rotten piths?
« on: June 07, 2014, 03:40:10 pm »
the last few maples I cut down are unusable because of rotten pith areas that go to close to back surface. I can not get enough thickness for the stave to become a bow. When I harvest maples is there a better area to harvest from for example away from a crowded with trees creek
or stream area and instead on a hill in fun sun? I have encountered a lot of rotten maples and birches. I have found if I stick to hickory then the pith is sound. Also is there a few woods you know of that are good bets as far as not rotting as easily?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Is it common for sugar maples to have rotten piths?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:48:07 pm »
Can't say I've ever cut, or seen, Sugar Maple grow in low-laying areas, Red Maple yes but not Sugar Maple
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:34:30 am »
A couple of years ago I was determined to get some sugar maple staves in my stash. After cutting about a dozen or so of them down I gave up. Every tree I cut had a hollowed out, rotten core. It was very surprising to me as these were not big trees that I was cutting but most were around 6" diameter or so. These maples only grow in the mountains around here and are surrounded by mostly oaks and hickories, not sure if the trees being crowded has anything to do with it or not.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:40:46 am »
It is odd that you both are finding Sugar Maple with rotten cores.  Up here it's the other way around.  Red Maple more often have rotten cores and Sugar Maple are usually sound throughout
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »
Years ago when I logged on the east coast of canada I rarely saw a rotten sugar maple,maybe it's a climate thing?most people in nova scotia heat their homes with it. Iv'e cut tree's 20" at the butt that were sound.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:40:51 am »
Yeah I am going to half to cut a larger diameter tree mine where around 4 inches or five. But the Hickories I cut are always sound. I go with those I guess. I have so many rotten trees around my home. Rotten elms , maples, birches . I could cut a much larger tree but I prefer doing a lot primitive and I have very limited time. So usually I harvest small diameter trees with high crowns and chose elastic woods to make short 48 or a bit longer bows.  >:D >:D