Author Topic: How do I deal with this knot?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
How do I deal with this knot?
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »
Hi, guys,

I'm working on this Osage board bow.  It's pretty darn clean and straight-grained end-to-end.  HOWEVER, it has this knot on the belly side that I'm worried about.  It's about 1/2" in diameter on the belly, and exits off the side.  It doesn't show on the back at all.  I didn't have enough wood to widen it more around the knot.

So.... do I keep it thick around the not and hope for the best?  Drill it out and fill it with something?  Back the bow?  Wrap it with something?

Thanks for any advice.  I don't wanna break this one.

The last pick shows the back.

-Tom

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How do I deal with this knot?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »
Ouchy! That's one I wouldn't work with, and Ill work with almost anything. Its in the worst spot it could be. On an edge in a fade.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:08:19 pm »
Finished one last summer with 2 of those on one limb. Mine were punky so I cleaned them out and filled with CA glue and crossed my fingers. Both held fine with no issues. Pearl is right. Bad spot and it might spell disaster, but, doable if your careful and lucky.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
It will no doubt break right there, I see also rings running off the edge so
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »
Are you planning to back the bow with hickory or something?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:43 pm »
If you really want to use that board I'd get that knot out and do a torges/belly patch,and then back it with a hardwood backing...n I bet that wood do the trick just fine

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:51:41 pm »
You really have no choice but to back it with wood or bamboo.  Where the grain bends around the knot on the back is a fatal grain violation.  If you don't back it, it will fail in tension long before the actual knot becomes an issue.  Also with a backing strip increasing the thickness, you will tiller away most of that knot on the belly.  What's left of it should be removed and patched as Blackhawk said.  Josh

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:09:39 pm »
I am on my IPhone driving and can't see the pic, so, if the grain around the knot is badly done, what I suggested will surely fail!  Backing and a belly patch as BH said.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »
Hmmm.  I was afraid you guys would say that.  Guess I better find a piece of Hickory or something.

Or... maybe I'll press on and if it fails (likely), I'll carve another billet and make me a take-down.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »
Yup fill it. When sawed out it should have had a bulge around that point... but what's done is done.
Maybe you caould add a "side-verlay" at that point... it's like an overlay... but on the side.

No I'm not kidding, it's just an idea... it may be a bad one, but you have to have plenty of bad ones to get the good ones  ;).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 05:13:14 pm »
Boards and knots just don't mix. That would be propping up tomatoes in my garden.
I've made bows from some pretty tough staves.
:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
Come on guys, it's Osage!! Orange gold!! Where's the faith :P

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 05:53:32 pm »
Yup fill it. When sawed out it should have had a bulge around that point... but what's done is done.
Maybe you caould add a "side-verlay" at that point... it's like an overlay... but on the side.

No I'm not kidding, it's just an idea... it may be a bad one, but you have to have plenty of bad ones to get the good ones  ;).
Del

Soon as i Saw the picture I though of del saying "We can make it Better than he was before. Better...stronger...faster.""
and coming up with a bionic fix,,, that would actually work in real life!

If its not compressive and elastic its just freeloading and has to be compensated for in width or depth in my short understanding. Maybe save the good limb and splice in another when opportunity presents?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 12:52:53 am »
I finally had the chance to see the pics on my lap top.  No question I jumped the gun.  Based on what I could see on my phone it appeared as though you would whittle most of the knot away.  I still think that might be true, but the run off there and the lack of any extra width makes it an ender.  Sorry if I got your hopes up on it.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 03:07:10 am »
How long is your board and what draw weight are you shooting for?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi