Author Topic: Questions: Flipping Tips, especially on Longer Bows  (Read 7104 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Questions: Flipping Tips, especially on Longer Bows
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »
Well when the Stoogies used "beat it", it meant leave, go.
Getting bonked to us in New England meant getting hit like  getting bonked on the head.
You youn'uns need to clean up your act. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »
Yah, and you still use B-50 ol' fart Jawgey poo! What do you know?...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 03:20:35 pm »
Don't know, nu'in, PD.
My apologies to the OP. Did not mean to take over the thread.
I'm done.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 03:24:15 pm »
"Do you guys think flipping the tips on longer bows, say 67 or 68" and longer, causes more risk of limb twist than it's worth?"

No, I do not. I think it will take away some of the set and perhaps and add 3-5 FPS, in addition to making it a smoother drawing bow.

A little limb twist is never a problem anyway and can be easily corrected if need be.

So go ahead and add some reflex in the last 8 inches or so. I've done it and it works.

Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »
Don't know, nu'in, PD.
My apologies to the OP. Did not mean to take over the thread.
I'm done.
Jawge

Don't get all cranky Jawgey, Im just playing around.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »
Nuttin' wrong with being 65 or using B-50. I'm almost 64 and have used B-50 since I began building bows about the time George did. I have fliped tips and have been bonked and steamed...in some cases both at once.   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »
Nothing wrong with anything anybody does or uses Pat, I was just poking fun at him since he was poking fun at us "younger" guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 03:48:36 pm »
Don't be so thin skinned Pearlie. We all know how much of a jokester you are.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 03:55:19 pm »
Ive never actually measured what reflexed tips add to a bow, but I do know they look sexy as all get out. Even if they don't help!

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 04:11:08 pm »
  As per the original question:: " How far is too far to bend the tips?"  I feel like full recurves start to bump up against the point of deminishing returns at around 64". The extra mass needed in the outer limbs for the recurve is hard to justify, longer bows tend to draw smoothly anyway and just by adding a litle reflex in the tips you get the best of both worlds. If you make the limbs too narrow they tend to get unstable.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 05:52:02 pm »
Me ? Cranky? LOL. Only in the morning.

Badger, I agree with you on full recurves though I do like reflexing/ semi recurving.

Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:03 pm »
  Pearly,I will give you an example. Several years ago I built a 68" straight osage longbow. It shot a very respectable 172 fps. Anything over 1170 I feel is worthy of little modifications to see it I can get it up to a flightbow performance level. I reflexed the limbs and picked it up to about 176 fps. I then flipped the tips just a little shy of contact recurve and it got me up to 182 fps, this was enough for me to set a new wprld broadhed record in the self bow class. My big tip off was that the bow didn't take any set throughout the entire process, I would not have fooled with it had it shown any sign of set..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »
Ill buy that Steve. Ive always believed it mattered, I "preached" it actually. But Ive never used a chrony and could only assume it helped by the need to jump up arrow spines on occasion and the string tension at brace being much higher.

Offline zenart

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »
You guys are killing me. I was just telling Steve I mainly started thread to get fellas involved but I didn't expect to be so entertained. I'm learning a WHOLE lot of stuff though (some of it more than I needed  ::) ).  It is interesting how language evolves and helpful to know some of you veterans have the same prob keeping up with some of these terms. I was looking for clarification and I think I got it… I think.

Flipping tips
Semi-recurve
Recurve
Full recurve
Reflex

All kinda the same, just a matter of degree.. I guess.

Thanks. Ron
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 07:05:09 pm »
Replace full recurve with static recurve and you nailed it!