Author Topic: Keeping It Simple  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Keeping It Simple
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:35 am »
I wish my bows looked that good.  Nice job, and welcome to PA. :)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline TRACY

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 08:41:17 am »
Welcome ezc! Very nice results and bow

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 09:24:06 am »
Welcome to the fun.  Nice work on the bow.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
Looks like somebody was reading and absorbing the last year! Very nice effort!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50:32 am »
Very nicely done! Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:53 am »
Cool..congrats...welcome to the fun!!! How bout trying one of those plantation pines next..that'll get your confidence up too  :laugh:

There's an idea! One of my little sisters does need a bow.  :P

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:13 am »
It's just the way they're shaped as a bit of a slope for me. I'd be afraid of my string eventually stretching over the single shoulder. If there was a peak keeping the string in place it'd only be a question of whether or not one point of contact is enough to keep the string from splitting the tip.

Ah, yes. I see how you could get that impression. Those two pictures, especially the one from the back side, don't really make it look like there is a whole lot there for the string to catch on. So I took a few pictures that will hopefully show the situation a little better.

Two bows side by side with the same style nocks, though they look a little different.

That's the view from the belly side. See how the strings kind of ride down and to the right?  Because they do this they basically pull themselves  into the shoulder.

With this view from the side, you can see that the strings are secure on the shoulder and not risking sliding down further. If I made huge loops I might have to worry about that. But in general I make my loops just big enough -- they usually don't ride down the limb more than six inches or so.

And a view from the back side again shows the angle the strings sit at. The shoulders are wide enough to completely cover the width of the string.

So in the end, I can definitely see where nervousness could stem from, but I have perfect confidence in these nocks. Both in holding onto the string and in holding up. The bow on the right has probably been shot 1000 times by now (made in February) and the nocks show no sign of degradation. That's with "fast flight" (BCY Force 10) too. Every bow I've made has had self nocks, and almost every one of them I've put a low-stretch string on.

Another benefit is that these style nocks make stringing and unstringing very easy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:49:56 am by ezc »

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »
Nice job and welcome! I always like to see another board bow builder in the ranks, makes me feel more secure!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 01:54:50 pm »
It all makes sense now ;D

I've also been using controversial nocks, made from extra rings on the tips of black locust bows. I'm convinced they're at least as safe as a glue-on overlay and haven't had them fail, others worry the string will split the extra growth ring.

Keep being a rebel ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 02:01:46 pm »
Nice job and welcome! I always like to see another board bow builder in the ranks, makes me feel more secure!

Haha! I make both, but I've made quite a few from bows just because they're pretty easy and I don't have to wait for a stave to dry or anything. A lot of the staves I do have that I can turn into bows have a little more character than I feel like tackling sometimes. I do have two (fairly) straight-forward white ash sapling staves that will be bows before too long. And yesterday I cut up some maple, so I'll be up to my neck in those once they're processed and put aside to dry.

Sometimes I'll just feel like looking through a stack of boards though, and come home with one or two.

I've also been using controversial nocks, made from extra rings on the tips of black locust bows. I'm convinced they're at least as safe as a glue-on overlay and haven't had them fail, others worry the string will split the extra growth ring.

Yeah, I've seen those. I think both arguments make some sense.