Author Topic: Almost gave up today. I'm too hard headed to quit, I guess.  (Read 3774 times)

Offline dmills

See my earlier crepe myrtle post.  I was using a stave from my yard and I knew it had a lot of knots on it.  But I proceeded anyway.  Getting pretty close on the tiller and was on the short string.  Occasionally this one would make a cracking noise as more of the thin bark broke loose.  Nothing to worry about on crepe myrtle, or so I understand.  As the bark cracks away from the wood, I just use my scraper to pull of the loosened piece.  Then while exercising the wood (can't call it a bow yet), I heard a big cracking noise.  I examined and saw problems around one of the bigger knots.  I could see a big hinge there also.  I pulled again and it broke.  No surprise.  But I said to myself "Ok, that's it--I'm done. I give up and I ain't going to waste any more time on this.  I am just going to make arrows!"  :embarassed: >:( I gathered up the scraps and started cleaning up the mess.  I walked by the wagon that had rejects in it ready to burn and I stopped to look at a piece of east Texas cedar that I had looked at many times before. 

Then, for the first time, I saw that the back of the stave had no knots for at least 48", which is rare for this scrub cedar.  Well, ok, it had one knot on the side, but I can work around that.  And it had no lengthwise cracks in the section I would use.   I flipped it over and all of the potential belly section looked good.  It is deflexed and a little crooked, but it is beautiful to me. 

So, here I go again.   >:D

Offline bubby

Re: Almost gave up today. I'm too hard headed to quit, I guess.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:45:25 pm »
that's right, GET BACK ON THAT HORSE hell yeah you'll get it ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:57:11 pm »
Hang in there! You'll get a shooter and when you do it will all start coming together for you.   
.... and after shooting the first few arrows from it you'll likely be hopelessly addicted. ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:03:57 pm »
Hoorah.. Like!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:08:30 am »
Glad you went back at it. I know where you are, I had 3 break back to back and I even had a little bit of a fit throwing the broken pieces. But I got back on the proverbial horse and the next one turned out really nice. Good luck, you can do it. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 12:36:25 am »
As a beginner you're better off using wood that is clean and strong rather than something that's going to give you a challenge.  Getting a working bow relatively early on gives your morale a good boost.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:01:40 am »
As soon as I read the first line of your post my brain was thinking the same as Marc's.
Do yourself a favour and go find a clean, plum straight piece of wood.  ;)
By picking something with knots,too narrow,too short etc etc you are making the job much harder. Good wood wants to be a bow.
In Vol 4 TBB there is a short section on 'making your first wooden bow'. If you follow it you WILL get a shooter. I advise copying it out and putting it in front of where you work so you can keep glancing at it.

Offline dmills

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 09:43:49 am »
Thanks for the encouragement.  Marc and Mike, you gave good advice but my choices are somewhat limited.  I have tried a red oak board from a box store, but it was very brittle and had a lot of string follow, before I broke it.  I have some good crepe myrtle limbs on my trees, but I haven't cut those yet.  I have a huge stack of ceder leftover from a cabin project but those are heavily knotted.  A lot of Osage grows in this area but I don't have a source yet.  My goal is to keep costs down so I don't want to buy a stave online unless I just have to. 

I can get an IPE board for a reasonable price about 30 miles away.  Would that be a better choice than another red oak board?

I am learning a lot on these failures.  So at least I will be more skilled when I get that perfect wood.   8)

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:02 am »
try and get a good maple board, epe you will have to back, make a simple pyramid bow 68" long ttt 2" at the fades and straight taper to the tips, work it down to roughly 1/2" even thickness on the limbs, 4" handle with 2" fades
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »
Whatever wood source you find, keep at it and listen to these guys with a lot more experience than I have. You have at your hands access to the best bowyers around and I would have had some better outcomes these past 3 years had I followed advice a little closer.

Just thought I'd throw in a pic of this apples limb I cut when I first started into this (on top)  ;D I thought it would be a cool "character bow :o". (this shows the side profile  :o) I now think it is a dry stick of apple wood until it becomes firewood or overlays  ;)

Welcome and best wishes.
Marco
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:00:31 pm by DuBois »