Author Topic: Why are all of my bows amidextrious?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Why are all of my bows amidextrious?
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:59 pm »
Ever since I acquired a Jay St. Charles Classic Yew take down longbow some years ago all I've ever wanted to purchase or make were bows that would accommodate both right and left hand shooters.
I had a right shoulder injury years ago that thankfully fully recuperated otherwise I'd probably be pulling with my left.
My son David is a southpaw but has learned to adapt. He golfs RH and actually has a beautiful swing because he pulls through the shot. With a bat in his hand he can switch either direction. He shoots archery right but when he tried my osage sleeve T/D he immediately fell in love with it and can fire from both sides.
He says it's his and he wants it and I told him he could have it before the grave got cold.
I have absolutely no interest in making a bow that isn't set up for shooting from both sides except when the wood dictates otherwise.
What say you?

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Why are all of my bows amidextrious?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:13:41 pm »
I think that is not only reasonable, but good/best practice.  When a string is not centered on the bow, I think some funny stuff happens on release, depending on the shooter's grip. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:21:24 am »
If that is you intrest then that is what you should do. :) I have no intrest in making one that shoots from both sides , so I don't. :) :) That is what I love about this stuff,to each there own.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:36:14 am »
That is all I make also.  For the simple reason that if somebody wants it I don't want to be constrained by l/r handed ness.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:09 pm »
I like my string to lean towards the drivers side a good 1/4-3/8". That makes them one sided bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.