Author Topic: Bowyers 10 commandments??  (Read 9200 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Bowyers 10 commandments??
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 12:14:20 pm »
JW, I should have included "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's bow", but I thought it unnecessary since we can have as many bows as we want.  I guess I was wrong, you randy bugger... :P

Steve, keeping the bow surface in a near finished state and "cleaning up the bow" before you start is excellent advice.  I've worked very hard to make these two rules second nature in my bow building.  Now, if I could get good at predicting weight from a particular piece of wood, I'd be home free...

Lots of good points here.  Maybe we could make "The 12 Points of Success for Bow Building"?  When I suggested the commandments above, I intentionally left them vague and not too specific.  I think I've seen the list of commandments that you mentioned at the beginning of this post but I can't remember who wrote them either.

How about, Master the art of "training" the wood while it's drying?  I've got a few bows in the preliminary drying stage right now and I have found that tying or clamping the stave to a form works a lot better than steaming or heat bending later.  In the floor tillered state, I clamp the bow in various positions to take out the severe twists and bends.  I leave the bow in each position for a few days and then check on the progress.  Sometimes a bend will be corrected in a few days but sometimes it takes weeks.

I like the Never be in a hurry commandment but this is made much easier if the person receiving the bow is also not in a hurry.  ;)

My number one rule has become, Try and find the most perfect piece of wood to start with.  This is what the ancient masters did and it saves more time and frustration than anything else I've ever tried.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:37:25 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:37 am »
Yep the cleaning up of a stave,back slick and belly in good smooth shape is very important to me,keeping all tool makes out as I go is something I always do also. The set up before bending/heat or especially steam is also a very good rule
to follow. I usually spend a lot more time on the set up and being sure of just what I want to accomplish than I do the actual heating and bending :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »

My number one rule has become, Try and find the most perfect piece of wood to start with.  This is what the ancient masters did and it saves more time and frustration than anything else I've ever tried.

Totally agree with that one....I'm getting more picky as of late as to what I pick up to start with...if it ain't mostly clean,and straight I don't want nothing to do with it...I'm sick of wrestling staves into submission...and the clean straight stock makes better bows in the end as well..n that's a fact jack.....on the flip side tho it is nice and fun at certain times to take on a true character stave for the heck of it

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »
  I agree with you Blackhawk, character staves are fun now and then but I would much rather have as little character as possible. I buy most of my sage on e ebay so I have to put up with what I get but if I lived in osage country I would go for the cleanest I could find.

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »
   I like that term 12 points for successful bow making that Jackcrafty used.
  Not sure how you would write this into a one liner but if you are building a 50# bow and you notice one area is allready bending more than it should at 35# then you now have a 30# bow, believe your eyes!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »
Thou shalt not fully draw the self bow of thy neighbor.
;D ;D ;D

Offline 4dog

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 02:54:22 pm »
thou shalt not advance to next stage of pull before excercising thy limbs 20 to 30 times for training thy bow..lest thy bow breaketh and tears flow from thy orbs.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 03:25:07 pm »
The only character should be in the bowyer, not the stave.
 I have fiberglass mentality when it comes to stave selection.

Offline bubby

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 04:26:31 pm »

Let me quess Pat, your a engineer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 04:33:24 pm »

Let me quess Pat, your a engineer
Not even close. I just know that near perfect staves are out there and I like the results that they give.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 04:44:24 pm »
Nah, I'm on the other side of that argument  I can't resist that snakey stave lying beside the uninteresting straight one. That's a big part of what keeps this interesting for me. Try and find the best bow possible in that twisted stick. But there is a big difference between good quality character  staves and junk  that will never make a decent bow.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 04:55:51 pm »
Thou shalt have no other bow woods before thy __(insert name of your fav bow wood)___.

Thou shalt not attach unto thy bow thy wheel our thy cam and thou shalt not have respect unto those persons that choose this darkened path and so pollute the primitive ways of thy forefathers.

Thou shalt eschew and detest all other ways of bowery not taught to thee by thy mentors all the days of thy life.

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 05:00:30 pm »
I don't mind character as long as its solid, as Bob mentioned. I cant tell a difference in performance if they are built well (right)......<---- and that's a period.:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 05:01:06 pm »
     I am a huge admirer of well made character bows. I will admire them all day long, they are beautiful! I just hate making them myself.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 05:32:16 pm »
Still finishing it up, but shooting it now. 50 lbs at 27 inches dead nut. Shoots as good as any I own. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:15:00 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.