Author Topic: Challenge bow thread  (Read 20626 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Challenge bow thread
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 11:26:55 am »
Heck...I'm drawing a blank....lots has been done....how bout a 1#@28" bow...lmao  :laugh:

hey, no making fun of my first bow.

Or you second, or third, or fourth >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 11:56:05 am »
How about a 65" or less, 65# at 28" bow that cannot be wider than 1" at any point.  Recurves ok, but has to be 65" or less measured along the back, not straight line distance.  And it has to have less than 1" set.  selfbow.

Just the first thing that came to my tired mind...
There is just such a bow in Volume 2 of TTBB. Perfectly doable in the right wood.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 12:29:52 pm »
Make a successful bow out of cottonwood using any dimensions you want I'd love to see it and love to try it myself just have no cottonwood right now
I like osage

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 01:22:37 pm »
Make a successful bow out of cottonwood using any dimensions you want I'd love to see it and love to try it myself just have no cottonwood right now

Easy make it 20 feet long!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »

Easy make it 20 feet long!!

Ok any dimensions that are realistic !!
I like osage

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 01:52:01 pm »
  Mark, your style of bow would be the perfect one for this challenge. I will give it a shot in a composite all wood.

Steve
The string tension will be extreme especially at first brace

Mark, how much reflex? I plan to give it one shot pass or fail. I decided to go self bow, Pecan. I will do a build along open for suggestions.

Steve
When I was entertaining the thought of making this bow I had as a plan to use HHB  billets glued into deflex and backed with 3/16" thick Maple with a limb width of around 2".  I would have heat-treated the HHB and reflexed them at the same time giving the bow 2" or 3" of reflex then glued in the rest for a total of at least 6" as a starting point for tillering.  As a selfbow you will have to heat all the reflex into the limbs, I don't know how Pecan will like that.  Best bet I think will be to closely pattern the bow after the last one I posted here
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 02:07:55 pm »
  Mark, the last bow you posted was basicaly what I had planned on copying, I like how you get the limbs started close to the fades with the deflex. I had planned on keeping it pretty wide right into the curves because I know that high string tension at brace will exagerate any slight misalignment. I still may go with bamboo backed ipe or osage. Haven't decided yet. I may do the pecan as more of a prototype.

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »
I specifically put aside what looks like a prime elm stave for this bow. I split  the log in half and quartered one half. That was a mistake as some grain tearout  minimized the fade area on what was to be the first draft. That one spot will govern what the rest of the stave will take. It should still make a relatively heavy bow and I can see how the wood behaves.
 I still have the other half to go for the end goal.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »
How about a 50lb bow of any kind and Kill a deer with it,I would be in for that one. ;) :) :)
 Pappy

That is the distinct line between hunters and shooters (of any type). I wouldn't dream of ruining a good stave to make a bow like Steve did, which was cool by the way Steve. Id would much rather build a hunting bow with it. No offense to anybody fella's, but there is a drastic difference between the two "breeds" of bowyers! And Im glad for that, its a nice blend that crosses over.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »
Depends on what you're hunting. That bow would be quite useful for very large game.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 08:44:22 pm »
How about a 50lb bow of any kind and Kill a deer with it,I would be in for that one. ;) :) :)
 Pappy

That is the distinct line between hunters and shooters (of any type). I wouldn't dream of ruining a good stave to make a bow like Steve did, which was cool by the way Steve. Id would much rather build a hunting bow with it. No offense to anybody fella's, but there is a drastic difference between the two "breeds" of bowyers! And Im glad for that, its a nice blend that crosses over.

You could say "ruin" if all you have is a handful of staves and you use one to make a bow that is useless to you.  But if you have a good quantity of staves and a number of hunting bows already then ruin might not apply.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »
That's just it Marc. Building a useless bow to me would be ruining a stave no matter my supply, which is flush :). Either way, its just something I noticed and thought it was cool. No offense meant to anybody's efforts.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »
Well then you and I are sort of on the same page, although building something that is a challenge can teach you things.  I'm just a bit too busy right now for teachings  :)

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »
My only disclaimer would be shorty's. That's getting what you can from a short stick, but Id still be shooting for a hunting weight!

Offline bubby

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »
how about a backpack or quiver bow, no takedowns no backers, a short bow that can easily be transported in a quiver or backpack, hunting weight selfbow, at least 22" draw, 45# should be more than enough
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹