Author Topic: Challenge bow thread  (Read 20011 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Challenge bow thread
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2014, 12:53:46 pm »
  I like the idea of a heavy recurve, especially a deflexed recurve, I think I will decline on the 135# and go for about 100#. With a bamboo backed ipe I can build maybe up to 110# with a pretty normal profile I think. Will start just under 2" wide with a 100# goal, heavier if I feel I can do it.

Offline JonW

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »
how about a backpack or quiver bow, no takedowns no backers, a short bow that can easily be transported in a quiver or backpack, hunting weight selfbow, at least 22" draw, 45# should be more than enough

Bub I'm your Huckleberry! ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 01:59:06 pm »
I figured you would want in on this Jon
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JonW

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 02:04:15 pm »
I have two pieces right now that will fit the bill.

Offline bubby

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 02:27:59 pm »
I may try to pull this off with a board, I've got some real nice short maple

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 04:27:17 pm »
How about a 50lb bow from willow? Say 62ntn?

Been done.  By a first time bow maker that only had one lesson from me...and that lesson was that he needed to stop tillering from the BACK OF THE BOW!

The moron had no idea what he was doing from the get go and took home a beaver cut peach leaf willow.  He turned out a 58" nock to nock that pulled 53# at 26 inches.  4 inches of set, but no fail!  Shot 425 grain arrows at 120 fps.  Tiller was bad and got worse the more he shot it.  It now has so much set after 9 years that it is slack at 8 inches brace...but still not broke!  We called it The Propellor because of the wonderful S curve of the limbs.  I gotta get Mikey to post pics of that bow online. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2014, 07:33:28 pm »
How about this, max 42" ttt, 45#@ half the length of the stave minimum, if you can get more even better, you can go longer on the draw and shorter on the stave

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:23 pm »
Im on it Bub;
no sinew backing
42ttt max length
45# minimum draw wieght @ 24+"
must be concealable in a daypack
Bonus points for concealed all day strung and/or proof of killing ability

Finishin up other items then Im all over this
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2014, 11:35:12 am »

Been done.  By a first time bow maker that only had one lesson from me...and that lesson was that he needed to stop tillering from the BACK OF THE BOW!

The moron had no idea what he was doing from the get go and took home a beaver cut peach leaf willow.  He turned out a 58" nock to nock that pulled 53# at 26 inches.  4 inches of set, but no fail!  Shot 425 grain arrows at 120 fps.  Tiller was bad and got worse the more he shot it.  It now has so much set after 9 years that it is slack at 8 inches brace...but still not broke!  We called it The Propellor because of the wonderful S curve of the limbs.  I gotta get Mikey to post pics of that bow online.

Fair enough. I do have a willow stave that's been hiding in the pile for months so will give it a shot and see what happens.

Offline JonW

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »
How about this, max 42" ttt, 45#@ half the length of the stave minimum, if you can get more even better, you can go longer on the draw and shorter on the stave

Bub I'm not trying to be "that" guy ;) but this is easily doable. Let's add a certain amount of allowable set into the challenge.

Offline bubby

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »
I think so too Jon, just interested to see what comes up, i'm actually thinking about deflexing it and flipping the tips kind of a shorter version of my halfeye bow

Offline JonW

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2014, 02:35:35 pm »
I just got done with the floor tiller on my first try. 38" of Osage goodness. Might try to get it braced this evening. I'd guess its around 55#.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »

Fair enough. I do have a willow stave that's been hiding in the pile for months so will give it a shot and see what happens.

Go 2" wide, extra long, and really really really take your time at tillering!  And set your expectations low, this wood won't make anything particularly fast, but it can be done!

Offline scp

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 10:40:48 pm »
Why willow? How about a bow from any 2x4?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 10:53:47 pm »
Not sure if you followed the thread within this thread, but willow HAS made a functional bow AND Dwardo (a rather talented and experienced bowyer) has a stave that he would like to challenge himself with.

Feel free to up the ante with a 2x4.  This is a challenge bow thread, in case you had missed that part.