Author Topic: Challenge bow thread  (Read 20014 times)

Offline Badger

Challenge bow thread
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:19:27 pm »
  The show down thread made me think of a challenege bow thread where guys would suggest a bow that they felt would offer a challenge. It might be that someone has allready made this bow so if they posted it they made the challenge. The challenge could be anything and anybody could take it on whenever they felt like it. Example, a doug fir bow that draws at least 60# no longer than 72", or skinniest tips, or longest draw, it could be aything anyone thinks about, your suggestion may not get any takers but it might lead up to some good discussions.

Even if we have no takers on a bow challenge discussing the strategy needed to approach different challeneges could be useful.

Offline Parnell

Re: Challenge bow thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:26 pm »
This should be interesting.  I'm surprised that no one has really done a turtle bow competition on here, at least that I've seen.
1’—>1’

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:24:31 pm »
  Glad you brought that up, lets say the challenge has to at least be an attempt to produce something useful and hopefully improved.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:44:26 pm »
This should be interesting.  I'm surprised that no one has really done a turtle bow competition on here, at least that I've seen.

Here I thought that I was already in this challenge !
And close to the win.
At this point in life ,the challenge would be to get done before the friendship bow thread finishes up , but I would enjoy watching the rest of you get at them !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
I like the idea of a challenge put out to everyone, and having a cheat sheet on strategies for discussing possibly conflicting beliefs (in a bowyers sense) is something I woul love to have for a reference. what should the challenge be?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
I sure would like to see a 40# selfbow that can achieve the kinetic energy of 40 ft-lbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 04:11:29 pm »
If I was to suggest a bow then it would be something that I would find a challenge to make and this is one

Recurve not more than 65" long pulling 135# @ 32".  I was asked to build such a bow a few months ago.  I refused the build not because I don't think it can be done but because it would be one heck of a bow to make and I just wasn't prepared to take it on at the time.  The bow can be hard-backed or self but no horn or sinew.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »
  Mark, your style of bow would be the perfect one for this challenge. I will give it a shot in a composite all wood.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »
Heck...I'm drawing a blank....lots has been done....how bout a 1#@28" bow...lmao  :laugh:

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:56:52 pm »
Heck...I'm drawing a blank....lots has been done....how bout a 1#@28" bow...lmao  :laugh:

now thats what I wanna see.

Offline zenart

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »
Just a thought for continuity. Make a Sticky.

Maybe once 6,8,10 or whatever 'challenge bows' are suggested here then a Mod can make a Sticky listing challenges to refer to for 'check-off'. Mod then alters the Sticky to include links to the 'fulfilled challenge posts', the ones with stats, pics, discussion etc.  Sticky could get updated over time as challenges come to mind and we have in one place a living reference.   Otherwise, a lotta huntin' n peckin' thru the threads..
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »
I remember reading about a pocket bow challenge. Not sure how it was specified but it had to be a super shorty and a strong bow. If someone could come up with some specs for that I think it would be pretty cool.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »

hey, no making fun of my first bow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »

Thats Awesome!!!
1’—>1’

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 02:39:12 am »
I remember reading about a pocket bow challenge. Not sure how it was specified but it had to be a super shorty and a strong bow. If someone could come up with some specs for that I think it would be pretty cool.

I made a 23 inch Turkish hornbow, It shot well over 200 yds, about 35# @ 15