Author Topic: First bow - back selection - Broke  (Read 6829 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Re: First bow - back selection - Broke
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 08:17:38 am »
first off I don't think the handle is to short, I think the fades might be to short, and don't take darksoul the wrong way, he's giving good advice, he's just not very diplomatic about it and gets right to the hart of the matter, rounding the edges helps with slivers lifting, take the advice offered, get another board and get back to work, pay attention to the grain on all 4 sides ;)

I am not offended. I will take direct criticism from someone more knowledgeable and experienced. He put a lot of direct advice in his post. It was just a $14 board and a few hours shaping, so no great loss. Thanks to him, you, ezc and the others for taking the time to write your observations. I will get a new board and try again in a few weeks and post pics when I am ready to begin tillering.

I tapered the fades in the same 2 inches that I reduced the handle to the thickness of the leg. I reduced the handle too quickly (thickness), and maybe reduced the fades (width) too quickly also? Should that area of reduction be more that 2inches.. more gradual?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:34:29 am by SeanStuart »

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 10:31:11 am »
So I found this pic online and it looks like the bow does not decrease in thickness until after the width is increased completely.

Does this look correct for the handle? Thanks.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:30 am »
If you take a close look at the first picture of the board you will see at least 1 spot where the grain swirls up.  That is an indication that the board was cut close to a knot.  If the board would have been flat sawn then it wouldn't have been a problem but it is a problem with a quarter sawn board.  If you used that surface as the back of your bow then it's no surprise that it failed
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com