Author Topic: First bow - back selection - Broke  (Read 6828 times)

Offline SeanStuart

First bow - back selection - Broke
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:09:03 am »
Hello all. First post so I thought I would jump right in.

I am building my first bow and should probably read a lot more but will proceed with the ole trial and error method. More fun.

It will be a laminated longbow. I am using a red oak board for the belly and curly maple for the back. I understand curly maple may splinter or crack, but it is so nice, I want to use it. Plus it is already on hand.

I am planning to cut the back from the spot in the picture marked. Does this look like the best spot?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:00:17 pm by SeanStuart »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First bow - back selection
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 11:28:47 am »
Why would you build your first bow knowing the materials are inferior for a wood bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:41:30 am »
I know the wood will make a bow.

I have this wood in the garage left over from something else, so I do not have to buy anything to give it a try.

I don't believe my first attempt at a bow will be a huge success so using somewhat sub-standard parts, that do not cost me anything, makes a certain amount of sense to me.

Do you think that is the best spot to cut the back? Thanks.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:53:46 pm »
First of all welcome aboard. We've heard this same logic many times from newbies to bowbuilding but it just doesnt make sense. There is no good spot to cut a backing strip on that board. The first couple of feet look ok but there are quite a few run-ups on the other end. There is a lot of time and effort that goes into making a bow so you owe it to yourself to start out with materials that give you the best chance at making a decent bow. If you want to jump right in do yourself a favor and go to a local lumberyard and find yourself a straight grained hickory board.

P.S.Curly maple is probably one of the  worst options for a backing strip.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:58:20 pm »
Call me crazy, but that oak board might make a self bow. I don't like the "kinks", but I'd be tempted to try it myself.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:25 pm »
Ok I did some more reading and understand what you gents are saying. Save the maple for something else. Thanks for your patients with a noob.

Problem is, I can't just go get something else. Closest decent lumber is 1-1/2 hours each way, which kinda kills the day.

EZC that board is a 1X3, so only 3/4 inch thick. I would need to build up the handle a bit, but would I be better off attempting a self bow from that oak? Is 3/4 thick enough to start with?

Offline DLH

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:52:12 pm »
Where are you located?  If anyone on here is close they may help you. You could potentially trade for a straight grained board fairly easy too. I need to check some of my boards to send to someone on here you can have one if I can find a good straight one. I have primarily white oak.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:59 pm »
There's plenty of wood in that oak board, two inches wide at the fades and straight taper to half inch tips, 68" long either a four inch handle and two inch long fades, get the limb thickness down to half a inch as a good starting point
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 02:31:09 pm »
That Red oak looks a lot better for building a bow with, use your curly maple to build up the handle with, and for the tip overlays.  I think the curly maple on the oak will look nice and give some contrast.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 04:11:09 pm »
Or follow Jawge's red oak bendy handle build along

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »
EZC that board is a 1X3, so only 3/4 inch thick. I would need to build up the handle a bit, but would I be better off attempting a self bow from that oak? Is 3/4 thick enough to start with?

Absolutely! That's what most board bows are made from. You can choose to make it bend through the handle or build it up with another piece of wood -- that's up to you.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »
I like the bend through the handle, but I think I will go with bubby's build-a-long. It just looks too easy, with a nice finished product. Looks like a good weekend. Thanks all.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 08:58:07 am »
Read the one reply wrong for some reason, thought it was a 1x2. With a 1x3 you'd be better off making it stiff handled.

Sounds like you're on the right track now! I just finished up a board bow that I'm quite happy with.

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 08:30:29 pm »
Hey. I cut the bow today and roughed the shape. I have been stretching it and I don't see any more areas that need work. I would greatly appreciate any criticism or comments. Thanks.

Edit: I am using paracord, so it's a bit wonky, this is at 16 inches and it is about 25#. I think it might wind up being too much bow for me at this point.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:33:54 pm by SeanStuart »