Author Topic: Video of me breaking a white oak bow  (Read 6143 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Video of me breaking a white oak bow
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:00 am »
I agree completely with the "no bandaids" statement.  If a piece of wood doesn't want to be a bow, trash it, and NEXT!  There will always be more.  Cool video.  That was about as dramatic a break as white oak will make.  It usually just folds up, breaking down in compression till it's in a knot. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 01:37:40 am »
........ :laugh:  to funny, as long as its not your face.  ::)   Ya think backing it with something like sinew or 1/8" would of helped...?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 03:59:09 am »
Cool video, it had a good old bend on it before giving way.
On the subject of 'band aids' I think it depends on the wood and the philosophy.
Ages a go I visited a private bow museum. It was a real eye opener, a lot of Victorian target bows, mostly Yew, they had tiny nocks and some had Yew backs on Yew bellies, many had belly patches.
What is the difference between a band aid, a belly patch, a back patch and a backed bow?
Is plugging a knot a band aid?
What about a crack across the belly? The bow will draw up fine even with a crack half way through! But it's prudent to patch it. I think the ability to make effective well thought out repairs is a vital part in the bowyer's armoury.
Not everyone has a huge stash of seasoned Osage to choose from! Sometimes you have to work with what you have, and that's the challenge.
It's also that trade off between the slightly obsessive compulsive that makes us take on those character staves, the desire to finish what we started tempered with wanting perfection. Bow making like life is a compromise, just 'cos something isn't perfect you don't just chuck it....else Mrs Cat would have ditched me long ago >:D
I think each bow is unique, breaking one on purpose is fine, I'm all for experimenting and pushing the boundaries, but I also feel that experimenting with what a fix will acheive is also valid.
I had a long running debate with a respected bowyer as to whether a thin linnen binding soaked in glue did anything to support a chrysalled area. We remained in dissagreement, and that's part of the fun. I argued that next time he fractures his arm, he shouldn't bother with the plaster cast ;)
Anyhow, I'm not trying to argue, but to maybe open up a discussion or a can of beer.
Cheers
Del
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:06:35 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 04:40:09 am »
Del a full linen backing applied evenly will actually put more stress on the chrysal  >:D
Hey Blackhawk i'm glad somebody else does this sort of thing. Pulling any bow until it breaks teaches you an awful lot. Especially on a bow with perfect tiller. I don't get precious about bows anymore even if it's a good un! How can you learn where the limits are if you don't explore how far you can go.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 05:19:24 am »
Cool video Chris,enjoyed that.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:00 am »
Del a full linen backing applied evenly will actually put more stress on the chrysal  >:D
Ooooh, you tease monkey! I said binding not backing.
Not that it's something I make a habit of. I consider a bow with chrysals a 'give away', experimental or an illustration of what chrysals look like. They make me sick to my stomach dirty nasty horrid things >:(
If you tease I'll tell Mrs Cat of you, then you'll be in trouble :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 07:40:51 am »
Lol Greg  :laugh:

Dooby I'm just holding more up n down,and not leaning my head into it,and not pulling it into my anchor point(aka my face)

Badger  I was glad to see it go gently ;) how a wood breaks can tell you a lot about the wood as ya know

Pretty cool the belly didn't wanna give huh Howard :)

I have no idea bow101...can't say for sure one way or another...Ive had a couple "repaired" ones still let loose under the repair,and some are OK. And sinew backing it would've been a waste of MY time to find out one way or another

Glad ya enjoyed it to pappy!! ;)

Del...this one was a "gonner" and not worth the try IMHO...I wished y'all coulda seen the crack in the video but it didn't show up well...like I said to someone else I have had a couple still fail under a sinew wrap,or a rawhide patch with a rawhide backing over the top of that...as bad as that crack was there was not even consideration for it based on my experiences with fixes...I'll plug a knot if the wood and or bow shows promise...but like i said this one showed none of that....I'd rather be done with it and move on cus I DO have osage ;) Also since I'm a bowyer myself I can make another one,and also have plenty of good and better bows....your points are valid tho...especially back then and even now because not everyone is/was a bow maker...if a person wasn't then yes its worth trying to patch it....its like getting a flat tire on the car...your not gonna throw your car away and buy a new one when you can pay way less to fix it...and yes your right incouldve experimented the other way and do a repair and see how long and if it holds...but whos got time for that? Not me ;) I'd rather be shooting a bow I enjoy...either way tho I and we can still learn from the choice I did make with it...and here's some food for thought....

I've always had a theory about this,but can't prove it positively...I think sometimes when a splinter,crack pops on a bow it can weaken the area bending wise(almost a hinge but not quite a huge noticeable one)....meaning it can cause it to put more stress on the belly...if ya think about it that splinter is now unattached to the wood now and becomes a much thinner area....I don't think it happens in every case and scenario,but I have seen it happen...so I have been studying this pretty intensely... I swear I can almost see the tiller very subtlety changing right when those ticks happen....it looks like that area weakened by a smidgen...thoughts from anyone else on this possible phenomena, or concur or disagree with me..I could be wrong?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:52:40 am »
I have noticed that also Chris,especially if the splinter is in a stressful area, if I hear the dreaded tick and can't see the splinter as is sometimes the case I always look at the brace tiller first and it will sometimes show where to look harder. :)
Only make sense.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 08:00:16 am »
So if we do locate the area by either means pappy...wouldn't it make sense and be wise to scrape above and below the area and reduce its weight to now alleviate that area some and patch it of course along with that...that's if one would want to save the bow and or continue on with it....so shouldn't we be telling folks who have splinters pop to scrape above and below the area,and reduce the weight down as well as telling them to patch it? Makes sense to me...and would give it a better chance of surviving...

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 08:22:57 am »
Good thoughts,never really thought about that. ??? I would suspect your best chance for it to make it and the patch/wrap to hold would be to treat it like a hinge or fret.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 08:35:15 am »
4 words.................Long Live the King!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:51 am »
4 words.................Long Live the King!

Sorry pal,but osage ain't immune to splinters either  :P  :-X  8)

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 08:43:46 am »
Good thoughts,never really thought about that. ??? I would suspect your best chance for it to make it and the patch/wrap to hold would be to treat it like a hinge or fret.  :)
 Pappy

Looks like you can teach an ole dog new tricks... ;) I know I learned something today...it only makes sense to my pea brain...why did this break? It couldn't take the load I was asking of it...so reduce the load  on it

Offline Parnell

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 10:35:01 am »
That was fun to watch!  When it comes to lifting splinters...gotta go with Hickory.  Too bad it turns into a wet noodle this time of year, down here.
1’—>1’

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 11:19:22 am »
Bet you loved that!  Would you say it was that piece that was no good or are you critical of all white oak now? ::) Of course, we all know you to be critical of anything that isn't yellow. Long live his excellency. :)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.