Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Handle -Wrapping with leather?

<< < (2/3) > >>

DanaM:
I like a cordage wrapped handle, the smaller diameter hemp cord from wally world works good.
I thin some elmers glue down and saturate the handle, after its dry I use a coat or 2 of spar varnish.
Provides a sure grip and is weatherproof.

BigWapiti:
Dana, that sounds of interest.  Would you mind posting a picture of a finished hemp cord handle?  I'd like to see (or hear) how its done.  I suppose that stuff could be dyed as well?  I recall seeing tan colored cordage, but I'd like black.  Thinking soaking the roll in Rit dye might do it - maybe even give an interesting pattern soaking it while on the roll. ??

I'm also curious where folks get their leather and cord when building a stitched handle.  Unfortunately, my hunting skills (time, really) has been lacking - I have no hides.  But I did pick up an old leather coat from Goodwill, and have it stripped into pieces.  A little thin, but I'm using contact cement to see if I can stack the pieces to get it thicker/stronger.  Maybe I'll give that old cow a second life. :)

And the cord to stitch, leather shoe string??

Mike

Pat B:
Here are a few I did with the hemp from Wally World that Dana talked about. After I wrap the hemp around the handle area, I saturate it with Massey finish...2ton epoxy thinned with acetone.
   The last 2 pics are of "Trouble Maker" the wrap was the first time I tried the hemp and it was a necessity because this was the 4th time I attempted to hold this bow together. It is a tri-lam bow and the lam splices at the handle area and the handle riser kept coming apart. This held it all together.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

BigWapiti:
Thanks Dana, I may give that a shot.  This method seems to make for a good all weather bow.

Pat B:
I'm beginning to prefer this type of handle wrap for hunting bows. No matter what the weather is you get a good purchase on the handle.   Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version