Author Topic: Brace height changing  (Read 3780 times)

Don Case

Brace height changing
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:18:54 pm »
If my brace height changes during tillering does that necessarily mean that my string is slipping or does tillering itself change the brace height. My BH is decreasing.  I would think that if anything tillering would increase the BH, but what do I know.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Brace height changing
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »
As you scrape a limb it weakens, as it weakens it bends farther.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »
If your bow was bending more towards the fades, the brace height will decrease as you get the outer part of the limbs bending more.  If you have the bow bending properly and you are just lowering draw weight, then it can only be string stretch or string slippage.  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:28:36 pm »
Or...............your using B-50.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:28:56 pm »
That's what I thought. So my timber hitch or Flemish twist must be slipping. I tied bits of string close to both to see if they are creeping and my timber hitch was so I put a few more wraps on it. That slowed it down but didn't stop it. I'm using FastFlyte and didn't add more wax but it still seems very waxy. I guess it doesn't have to slip much to change the BH 1/2"

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »
As the tips get smaller does the timber hitch lose effectiveness? The tips on this bow are 3/8" and I've got 7 or 8 wraps in my timber hitch. It's wrapped right round the bow. Is there anything I can do to make the hitch more effective. It's only a 40-50# bow, the knot shouldn't be slipping.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:01:14 pm »
The limbs are holding tension on the string. By weakening the limbs the bend more decreasing tension.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:31 pm »
It would seem to me the brace height would most certainly increase if the limbs are bending farther as you scrape resistance away. The string length cant change, so something has to give in the equation and that'd have to be the fulcrum point, which is where most brace heights are measured.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:43 pm »
I had that problem for a bit, but then I realized I was doing the bowyers knot incorrectly. Instead of wrapping it back on itself, I was wrapping it around the other side.  Doing the bowyers knot correctly, I find 3 wraps is enough with B50 and 4 with FastFlite.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:40:00 pm »
dude if its only a 50 pound bow and its wrapped that many times I don't think it would slip even if it was tied wrong, I hardly ever use a timber hitch any more I just use it till I get to about 3", then I make a string and go to brace
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
True, 8 wraps should be enough, even if its tied wrong.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 06:23:10 am »
If it's decreasing the string has to be stretching or the knot slipping.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 12:37:21 pm »
I think the problem was the timber hitch. I hadn't twisted the bowstring on the end that gets knotted and I think the parallel strands were slipping. I took apart the string and this time I allowed 9" of string for the Flemish loop, instead of the 7" the videos I watched said. Then I twisted up the knot end for about 10" so the timber hitch is now on a twisted section of bowstring. We'll see if it slips today. That is if I can get my hands working, twisting strings plays heck with the arthritis.