Author Topic: new member's bow builld  (Read 10557 times)

Offline thomas74p

Re: new member's bow builld
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:06 am »
There's more bow building talent represented here than you could ever hope to pay for. Good luck!
I see that. ;)
my motorcycle forums arn't as active as this place nor do they stay on topic as well. not as nice and friendly either. I like this place.
also not trying to start a carreer in making bows here. this is way harder than dad made it look. I just want one good bow. but I aint into buying what means alot to me. to love it, I must make it. thats what my daddy did and thats what I'll do. I sure do aprreciate all the tips. I'm gonna use em all for the other half of this stave and I'll take it slower and ask questions before I screw up again, but I still think this bow can be saved too. just may not be as strong as it could have been.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 11:17:14 am »
Let me start off by saying I know nothing when it comes to this.

If you have broken 5 bows, and you continue to tell people that you are going to build this bow no matter what advise that these masters tell you, you are going to have a 6th broken bow. I am generally a know it all, and when you don't, that makes people really not want to help you. If you ask for help and then refuse the help that people offer, you will soon find your posts unanswered. My humble advise is ask a question and then take the advice of the people trying to help you, they truly do know more than you or I. If you continue to ask, get and answer and then respond with " I still think this bow can be saved too", and do what you planned all along, they will politely stop giving advice. It is called being an askhole.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2014, 01:57:49 pm »
sorry let me clarify myself. I'm now trying out the advice they have given and will someday apply that advise to the other half of the stave. but I can't just toss this almost finished bow in the fire, right. so I will continue on with it and see what it yeilds. by continue on, I mean using the good advice given to me here. already tried out the heat gun trick on a bow I cracked at the handle and it worked way better than I could have thought possible.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2014, 09:13:54 pm »
No need to toss it into the fire, but I would recommend you to start with a fresh piece of wood. Start with the other half of the log and create a functional bow from that half. Only then get back to this messed up stick and try to save it. With the experiences gained from your easier half of the log, you will a better chance of success for it (but still no guarantee). If you need only one bow anyway, why save a screwed up attempt if you have more decent wood waiting for you?

And a bow doesn't care how tall you are. "I don't want a bow thats taller than me" is very stubborn attitude and has no logic reasoning behind it. The bow's length should match the desired draw length, bow's width, wood species etc. It doesn't care if you have blue eyes, black teeth, a mohawk or midget legs.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2014, 12:14:59 am »
Why do you have to make fun of me like that? Oh... not me, I'm bald with gorilla arms.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50:09 am »
And a bow doesn't care how tall you are. "I don't want a bow thats taller than me" is very stubborn attitude and has no logic reasoning behind it. The bow's length should match the desired draw length, bow's width, wood species etc.

good point.

that being said I worked on taking all the sap wood off the other half and after 2 days of cuttting and removing all the sap wood I discovered a bad worm hole connected to an old knot that ended up pushing the knot clean out the hole and formed a pefect hole right through the center of one of the limbs >:(. so I cut it to a 38 inch pice of wood and I'm gonna make my daughter the nices damn bow I ever made 8). maybe someday I can have a nice one too.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2014, 10:22:10 am »
Should have ask about the hole before you cut it off,holes in Osage usually don't cause much of a problem.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:33 am »
 :-[ bummer. well the little ones gonna have a great bow anyway. it's actually thick enough I think I'll split it laterally and have 2 peices.. knowing my skills it wil be good to have a back up!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:06 am »
Lots of good advice here