Author Topic: Bamboo arrows  (Read 2613 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Bamboo arrows
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:29:36 pm »
I found an area that has bamboo growing somewhat near my home. The problem is that the majority of it is very brittle. Are Bamboo arrow shafts made from a specific type? anything that was strong was 1 1/2, but not all of the 1 1/2 was strong. Some was brittle enough to be broken with one hand.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:17 pm »
get us some pictures.  If it's dead it will be brittle if it's green it should not be.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 12:34:36 am »
Fresh new shoots(culms) can be quite flimsy. You will want to harvest at lease 2nd year culms. What you have there probably won't make good arrows if it grows to 1 1/2" in diameter unless the very top gets small enough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
I think the issue is that all of the bamboo winter kills in Utah, then restarts to grow every spring, so there isn't any second year shoots. What other wood makes good arrows? We have a lot of Siberian elm, Russian Olive, Cottonwood, Willow, Tamerisk (Tamarak, Salt Cedar) Phragmities, and scrub oak. The scrub oak I have in my yard looks like it would make great arrows, My wife most likely won't like the idea. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:12:42 am by JoJoDapyro »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline B.Reid

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »
There is also Red Osier Dogwood growing in Utah and from what i know that would make great arrows.