Author Topic: multi lam wood bows  (Read 3597 times)

deermaster

multi lam wood bows
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:07:29 pm »
are the lams in all would laminated bows parrelell or tapered?  if they are paralell, a simple drill press and drum sander grinding jig should be great? thanks for any info!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: multi lam wood bows
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:58:13 pm »
On the multi-lam bows I've made I cut the parallel lams on my table saw and used a belt sander to remove the saw marks and thin to the desires thickness...just as I do backing strips.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:09:56 pm »
I don't taper my lams, if you do taper lams properly you can eliminate most of the tillering process, but I just glue up parallel lams and do some tillering at the end, I guess it's up to you how you want to build them.
VB

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:08:09 am »
Same here, I just cut parallel.  My laminated bows are tapered from the handle to the tips which eliminates a lot of the tillering anyway. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:18 am »
Justin, do you mean pyramid shaped limbs?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »
Depends of your definition of pyramid. I have heard guys say that it isn't a pyramid if it isn't 3" wide at the fades. ;D If you mean a bow 1 1/2" at the fades and an even taper to the tips from there then yes.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:26:19 pm »
Yup thats what I meant :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI