Author Topic: 2nd attempt buckthorn bow, cross your fingers!  (Read 4970 times)

Eric Kol

2nd attempt buckthorn bow, cross your fingers!
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:57:33 pm »
ok guys,
I have decided to make a board bow. But that will wait untill I have to get to the lumber yard next time (I'm a carpenter so I generally get there pretty often). havn't decided on a wood species yet. I'll decide when I have some in my hand.

But, I did start to rough out another buckthorn log into a stave. The last one was short and gnarly. This one will be a 66" bow (69" stave), but still pretty gnarly.
I split and started to shape the log yesterday. No checks so far and I think I removed enough belly wood (heart wood) to hold that off. I am not sure how much sapwood to remove when I do debark, as I would like some of the distinct heart wood on the belly. I've got time though, needs to season for a while before I dare remove the bark.

I also am seriously tempted to back it with sinew. any suggestions from those of you who have worked with buckthorn? It might give me a chance perfect my tillering and not have the thing explode.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Badger

Re: 2nd attempt buckthorn bow, cross your fingers!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:47:43 pm »
I saw no one responded here, possibly because few of us have any experience with buckthorn. Stave looks like a pretty nice stave. What ever I did I would keep it to one solid growth ring on the back. Not sure if buckthorn works best with a sapwood or heartwood back, sorry cant be of more help. Steve

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:31:46 pm »
Looks good, show us more progress when you get there.  :)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:47:39 pm »
oh man you guys are awesome! Its Called Buckthorn!!
there is this one beautiful wood in high park toronto that Ive used for handles and stuff for knifes and celts. Well heck I've been trying to find the name for the longest time; Its so pretty.
Thanks gents
knapp 'um if you got 'um

330bull

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:32:04 pm »
That belly has tons of character.  I sure hope it works out and I cannot wait to see some pics! 

Good luck!

Joe

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:30 am »
I hope that works out well for ya. Their was a big search going on by me this past summer (trying to ID that tree) It turned out to be buckthorn, some folks call it Chittum around here. Anyway, keep us posted - I've been eyeballing a nice tree for awhile now >:D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:03:48 am »
Buckthorn is in the family Cascara, J.D. has used it, Do a search for Cascara and see what ya find.
Here is a link to J.D.'s bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,488.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Eric Kol

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:27:05 pm »
Hey, thanks for the link and encouragement. That bow from JD is awesome, but not the same tree as mine.
His is cascara, Rhamnus purshiana.
mine is  Buckthorn, Rhamnus Cathartica....a non native  (Eurasian) transplant. It is quite invasive here in MN and lots of folks are grouping up for buckthorn removeal projects.

here is a link to Cathartica http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/buckthorn/id.html

Here is a link to Cascara http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library/documents/treebook/cascara.htm
you can buy extracts of the cascara from herbalists. If you extract Cathartica you get the sh*ts! on nature hikes we have to remind the kids these are diahrea berries....o.k. for birds, not people who want to have bowel health!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 12:29:08 pm »
I realize thier not exactly the same but I believe they share similar properties. Including the laxative effects.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Eric Kol

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 04:42:03 pm »
Dana, right on. Thanks.