Author Topic: standing dead ERC  (Read 2599 times)

Offline arkdoc

standing dead ERC
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:58:10 pm »
I was on a woods walk today and I came across a ERC tree that was standing and dead.  It was a perfect piece of wood and I now there is the possibility of rot/bugs, but I still cut it down.  My question is this, when I removed part of the bark it did not have sap like the other ERC that I cut alive, so is there a way to tell if I can go ahead and start using this wood?  Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: standing dead ERC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:33:14 pm »
The heartwood is probably still sound. ERC heartwood is pretty rot resistant. only way to tell is try it.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:47:05 pm »
Sweet, I think I will giver it a go.  I have some other drying so, at least it can be practice, or if it isn't any good but the heart wood I think it would be a sweet looking walking stick if done right. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:42:24 am »
If you make a bow with it use a backing like silk, linen, rawhide or brown grocery bag paper. ERC heartwood can be explosive under tension.   ;)   Maybe try a simple, light weight bendy handle bow first. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »
Thanks guys, there is some sapwood still on the tree.  The growth rings are very thin, not like the osage that I am used to, but is it necessary to be perfect on the growth rings if I back it with a material like rawhide? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:35:06 pm »
 I'd remove the sapwood left on the bow first then try to chase a ring the best you can. Then back the stave before you start bending it just to be on the safe side.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 02:39:02 pm »
I actually look for the dead standing juniper who needs all that waiting for wood to dry. As far as no sapwood the tension side of a branch often has heartwood on the surface, but on the dead stuff the sap that is left usually has bug damage and heavy checking for these types of staves I usually make heartwood self bows . For ring chasing I  advise that you aim for the ring above your target ring and then carefully chase it before going for the final ring(you will easily cut into it chasing the other one) don't sweat the violations much I suspect juniper is similar to yew in that you don't really need to chase a ring but it's nice to have the extra security 

( juniper loves some sinew though) :D
I like free stuff.

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 03:57:20 pm »
sweet thanks guys!  The red on these pieces of wood are beautiful.  I have one that is really knotted and twisted that I think will make a better walking stick than bow though as well.