Author Topic: Yew board bow question  (Read 4724 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Yew board bow question
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 06:55:08 am »
Looks like a good board, although I can only see the grain in the first half of the length. If the half further away from the camera looks equally straight grained without knots, it's a great board. Saw it in half so you get two slats of 1¼" wide and glue a bamboo or hickory backing to it. It would be a shame to make only one 1½" wide flatbow from this board, if it could yield two longbows.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 06:59:37 am »
Nice board.
You can probably back it with just about anything that has clean straight grain, something off a tree would be nice. I've even used sapwood from a young ornamental Yew that was nearly all sapwood, sawed off a slice and used it back some heartwood that had rotten sapwood.
If you use 'boo keep it fairy thin. You can make just about any style bow with that board.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 11:20:22 am »
That is a very nice yew board.  While it looks straight grain, I would not attempt to split it lengthwise.  I would be tempted to cut it like this to yield two flatbow belly slats and one ELB belly slat: 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 01:50:26 pm »
I'm with Carson... on no account try to split it... there is no point. (unless you are short of firewood)
It is going to be backed and some grain run off on the belly doesn't matter a tinkers cuss with Yew.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline MotherGoose

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »
Cool I like the idea of getting more than 1 bow out of it...here is a pic of some more grain on it

Offline MotherGoose

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
There is one knot...