Author Topic: Yew orrible bunch of staves.  (Read 2133 times)

Offline dwardo

Yew orrible bunch of staves.
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:13 am »
Have been very slack on the prep side of things lately and constantly running out of usable bow wood so the past few weeks have been stave making. Check out this orrible bunch of yew  >:D clusters of pin knots all over the place but hey will see what happens. couple of wych elms in there too.

Offline kamil2910

Re: Yew orrible bunch of staves.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:01:47 am »
wery nice character yew stave, how much thys wood have yearl rings on inch?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:19:21 am »
Looks like you have been hard at it, I have to do the same thing now and then. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:34:24 am »
oh, there are some pretty staves there... much better than my stash of tatty billets and S shaped staves.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:08 am »
I'm jealous of your elm.  Want! 

I think I have the twin sister of that yew stave in the middle - looks just like a couple I've got seasoning.  Nothin' like a challenge, is there?  >:D

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:37:23 am »
Hi Dwardo, are you sawing your yew out?  Looks a bit straight to me ;), but very nice character.  That will keep you going for a while.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:47:46 pm »
Look lively Yew orrible shower! Sweet! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:16:46 pm »
Hi Dwardo, are you sawing your yew out?  Looks a bit straight to me ;), but very nice character.  That will keep you going for a while.

Splitting, sawing, rasping and chiselling, some swearing too. The bandsaw and microplane rasp have been hard at it for a few weeks now.
Every time the saw fires up the neighbours start queueing for fire wood  :laugh:
I have so little space I have to be harsh with my self, bow wood, billets or firewood n none inbetween. Just added another two yew and two elm to this lot. Now I need to start cutting again and get my act together.

Might actually get to making some bows after that.  ::)