Author Topic: My first complete self bow  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Scottski

Re: My first complete self bow
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 12:06:52 am »
Well done on your first bow. I have yet to make one from osage. My first bow broke and I have broke many along the way. Keep at it and you will get better. Nothing like your first shooter. I gave mine to my older brother he is my hero and he can't make bows.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 12:17:30 am »
Welcome to the party!
Love the detail work there.
I have been known to chase perfection too much and end up with a kids bow, might have done that last night in fact. If you like it and it seems close on tiller and shoots well, then leave it be IMO. Look it over again in 2 or 4 years and redo it then if ya like. At least you kept enough weight to make minor adjustments sometime if you want.
Very nice work there!
Doobs

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »
Nice job! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline wildman

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 02:50:53 am »
Make it bend and make it send. The rest will come, the most important is it puts an arrow where your looking!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 09:52:47 am »
Congrats on your first bow man.  Looks like a great first :).  Keep em coming and they will keep getting better ;).  Shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 06:35:53 pm »
Congratulations!  Welcome to the addiction.  Propeller twisted staves are hard to tiller for anyone.  You look at them from one side and they look okay and look all wrong from the other.  You done good.  Now build another one.   and another.  and another...... etc., etc....     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
Nice work on your first bow there.  Welcome aboard and keep at it!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 09:01:57 am »
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice and comments.  AD

Offline 4dog

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 04:45:40 pm »
nice job on a first bow....nice job for a third bow...like blackhawk said...aint none of us shooting a perfect bow...and most likely ....none of us will...but for a first..shoot her anyway.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
Im glad you got your first one done and very glad you are interested in this great hobby. Id fix that tiller. Its not good enough, as Ive read here many times. That top limb, especially at that weight will break or fold over right above the handle if that bottom doesn't carry its own weight. Im sorry to be a Danny Downer. Please don't be offended, but a guy cant learn without input. If we all say its just fine how do you know to improve it or what needs improving? I cant sit back and let you build another 5-6 bows trying to figure out what I can see now in your first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 07:16:06 pm »
Where are you seeing in the tiller that is bending too much or too little so I can see where to start?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »
Right above your handle is doing 70% of the entire bow's bending. That bottom limb is barely moving, if I have it matched with unbraced pic correctly. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:32 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 12:24:28 pm »
Im glad you got your first one done and very glad you are interested in this great hobby. Id fix that tiller. Its not good enough, as Ive read here many times. That top limb, especially at that weight will break or fold over right above the handle if that bottom doesn't carry its own weight. Im sorry to be a Danny Downer. Please don't be offended, but a guy cant learn without input. If we all say its just fine how do you know to improve it or what needs improving? I cant sit back and let you build another 5-6 bows trying to figure out what I can see now in your first.

+1 to that!  ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 04:30:29 pm »
Congrats on your first!  It won't be your last.  Looking forward to seeing your next one. Josh