Author Topic: Powerful wood scraper?  (Read 7231 times)

Offline autologus

Re: Powerful wood scraper?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 02:22:36 pm »
Ken, do you mean a bandsaw blade?

I think he talking about the chain saw bar.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 02:41:54 pm »
Sharpened paint scraper. I use one hand on the handle and one just over the blade.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 02:49:02 pm »
IMO a cabinet scraper (to give it its full name) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_scraper is a finishing tool designed to remove tool marks not a stock removal tool.
Using a scraper for early tillering is like cutting your lawn with nail scissors >:D
Just 'cos a load of other people do it, doesn't make it right!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »
Ken, do you mean a bandsaw blade?

I think he talking about the chain saw bar.

Grady

Us city boys just aint that familiar with chain saws LOL.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:36 pm »
IMO a cabinet scraper (to give it its full name) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_scraper is a finishing tool designed to remove tool marks not a stock removal tool.
Using a scraper for early tillering is like cutting your lawn with nail scissors >:D
Just 'cos a load of other people do it, doesn't make it right!
Del
  I agree!  I use the farrier's rasp mostly.  Rough side for hogging wood off.  Lots of tillering with the smoother side of the rasp, which I alternate with the scraper.  When I am scraping with the cabinet scraper exclusively, I am almost finished.   I am not patient  enough to cut grass with nail trimmers.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Little John

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 11:45:54 pm »
Oh I am sorry, yes I mean a chain saw bar. The more worn out the better.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 12:50:50 am »
Someone mentioned a band saw blade. I use a heavier band saw blade made for cutting steel. You can normally get them for free at metal shops after they get dull. I just treat the back of it, side without teeth, like a card scraper and burnish a nice edge on it, both sides. So I can use it in both directions. Now the tool that holds the blade is special made by a friend of mine. It's pretty much just two pieces of steel with 2 bolts welded to one piece with holes drilled to match on the other one. Then two bolts welded on each end with elk horns for handles. Its awesome! You can take a large curle off or just a very fine one. The saw blades are easy to cut and a small piece is really nice for working around knots on Osage.  I also just today used a piece of the blade in a paint scraper that takes replaceable blades.

Here are the results!

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!