Author Topic: shagbark hickory and ERC question  (Read 1223 times)

Offline arkdoc

shagbark hickory and ERC question
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:26:14 pm »
So I went out on my birthday and cut two trees and have some staves from shagbark hickory and ERC.  The hickory has one true stave and a half of the tree.  It has some considerable twist to it.  I am wondering how to proceed since I have sealed the backs and ends and put in my shed to dry.  How long? Floor tiller? Etc... Also, I cut an ERC and have 4 staves. Some small limbs came off of them.  Will they be problems?  They seem straight and I have sealed and stored as well.  How long on these?  Thanks?

Offline Newindian

Re: shagbark hickory and ERC question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:28:24 am »
The usual seasoning time for any stave is a year or more if you rough one out to near bow dimensions you could start bending in a month or so. For the twist you can use dry or wet heat to straighten it out if it isn't to much you may not even need to bother with it. If you mean that your ERC has a few small branches they may become a problem but one that more then likely can be avoided in Laying out your design
I like free stuff.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:06:10 pm »
The more dense wood is, the longer it takes to dry. Hickory is best left a year as a reduced stave (i.e. near-bow dimensions), while ERC will dry much faster and can be used within a few months. Seasoning is a different and largely independent process, which takes a few solid years with most any wood, as best I can tell.

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:54:18 pm »
Here are some pictures to let you know what I have drying and what I will be working with.  The first 2 are ERC and the last one is one of my hickory staves and looks to have about 45-80 degree twist.  The ERC staves are about 6.5' while the hickory is more like 7.5-8'.