Author Topic: My second Molly : tiller check  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Poggins

My second Molly : tiller check
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:23:56 am »
This is my second Molly and it has a little character to it , a little snake and some twist or waviness to it .
This one is 56" TTT 54 1/2" NTN and I'm shooting for 50# at 25" .

Still need to center the string a little more and work the levers down some more to reduce the tip weight . I have exercised it a lot and put about 20 arrows through it this evening .
First pic is at 16" ; second is braced at 6" ; third is just unstrung and fourth is after it has set for about ten minuts .

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: My second Molly : tiller check
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:47:59 am »
Thar be some pretty severe bend in them fades lad!

Get the outer limbs working a lot more; with so little working wood you need to spread the load as close to perfectly even as possible. You might be able to keep a little weight on her with a good heat treatment.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:05:38 am »
The limbs are the same thickness down the working limbs , used a caliper on this one , the limbs start at 11/2" at the handle and taper slightly to about 1 1/4 " at the levers .

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:37:08 am »
Well then the taper needs to be more severe; those fades are the sight of all the set in this bow, and the only working wood. It's like making a really short bow to draw ~70#@12", only you have long levers to [efficiently] lower the weight and lengthen the draw. That itty bitty bow in the middle needs to have perfect tiller!
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:10 am »
The limbs are the same thickness down the working limbs , used a caliper on this one , the limbs start at 11/2" at the handle and taper slightly to about 1 1/4 " at the levers .
You can't tiller a bow with a caliper! Ditch the thing and tiller with your eyes. It's only bending in the inner working limbs and not nearly enough in the outer portion of the working limbs. That is a typical problem I continue to see with about 75% of the mollies we see on this message board.

The bow is also a bit short. I know you only want a 25" draw length, but you are just really pushing it here. I'm afraid the bow will take a lot more set as you progress tillering. I would have made this bow 62" myself. An advanced bowyer might go 58", but 54½" is short. You'll need impeccable tiller to make it to 25" without too much set.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline tronman

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:54 am »

Offline Wiley

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:16:59 pm »
Get those outer working limbs bending more As you get those areas bending it might even increase in weight a little bit. Half eye mentioned that with my first molle that wasn't bending far enough out into the working limb. Sort of seemed strange to me that removing wood could increase draw weight, but if you think about it if you get those outer working limb areas bending that were until then working as a lever instead of working limb you are then using a shorter lever to bend more wood, and as such the weight increases.

Some things to consider on the next one. If your going to make a 56" molle, half eye made up some really good dimensions for short mollegabets. It involves shortening the fades to 1.5" instead of 2", and to push the working limbs out into the levers 1 inch to compensate for such short working limbs in an already short bow, giving you 2 extra inches of working limb on each limb.You may of done this though.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:48:07 pm »
1 1/2" fades at the handle and the levers , working lbs are 12-12 1/2" and the levers are about 11" .
This was a peace of twisted warped osage that was checked on the back , took it down to get past all but one check and it is centered in one of the levers .
This was a peace of wood to work some frustration out on , work and weather had me worked up pretty good so I calmed myself down with a peace of wood but didn't want to ruin a realy good peace ,
Plan on using this one for bowfishing so it's going to get beat around a lot , I'm going to true oil it then a mix of beeswax and grease to help with the water .

I'm calling this one " Oklahoma Wind " .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:28 am »
Just worked the outer 1/3-1/4 of the limbs and it is at 50# at 25" , I know it will gain a little when I heat it to line the string up .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:17:17 am »
Took a quick pic at 24" .

Offline Newindian

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:19 am »
Left looks ok but the right is still bending mainly in the fade
I like free stuff.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:33:57 am »
The right is a series of three hinges.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 09:45:32 am »
The right is a series of three hinges.

Could you point out the third? I'm only seeing two.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:29:24 am »
I would say  fade, mid limb and then right at the transition from lever to limb. Very slight in the outer one but the step down angle to the limb rather than a smooth curve points to it potentially getting worse.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 10:39:45 am »
Okay I see what you mean now. Thanks.