Author Topic: Draw weight clicker  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Badger

Draw weight clicker
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:51:30 pm »
  Working on an adjustable draw weight clicker for the tiller tree. It will be attached to my handle and click whenever I hit the draw weight it is adjust to. I have trouble reading the scale, watching the yardstick and watching the bow all at the same time. I had a friend break a bow a couple weeks ago by overdrawing the weight. Building it like a hanging scale with a T handle. Will post pics when I get the bugs out.

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Draw weight clicker
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »
That sounds useful.  I usually work alone and that would make it easier than trying to look at a scale, watch how your limbs are bending, and watch how far you are drawing all at the same time.   I bet if the bell rang or your clicker clicked every time the scale hit your target weight, tillering would have to be improved or at least you would have one less excuse for not making weight ;).
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:41 am »
Sounds like a great idea.  can't "weight" to see it.   ;D 

I was thinking about an adjustable stopper.   Some kind of device that would basically stop you from drawing it past were it has been set.  This would be adjustable somehow maybe set on a track near the yardstick or something.  that way you could exercise the bow to that point the move it down another inch or so when ready...   same kind of concept I guess.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:16:29 am »
  I have 2 spring set ups I am playing with, one goes to 125# the other goes to 96#. Dependinon the thread size I use each rotation will give a 5# adjustment in draw weight. I want to be able to both feel and hear the clicker so I will probably settle on a detent ball with a fairly strong spring.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:35 am »
Yeah I've done that, bending down to read the scale and watch the length and missed the fact that the bow was beginning to hinge.
Something that includes a spring loaded boxing glove to hit me in the face might help knock some sense in to me :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DGF

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:44 am »
Nothing like the sound, 'click', to make you stop from drawing a bow further.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:44:19 am »
Here's my lil grain of salt...because I've used a tree 3 times in the last 2+ years or so  :laugh:

But when i do/did I'm looking at the bend first and not pulling very far(exercising the limbs to the previous scrapes n let it change to that) making sure it looks OK to be going any further first,and if all looks good there more times than not its OK to pull a little further,and THEN I start looking at my scale...perfect bends and tiller first,and then check weight....i wouldnt wanna be yanking to my intended weight waiting to her the click, and pull past an error in my tiller...BUT I know you wouldn't do that Steve,but someone just starting out and new to this might not know any better.... for the kinda bows you build tho Steve it would be a nice thing to have set up on your tree...

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:45 am »
Blackhawk, one reason I wanted to make it adjustable was so that say I set it at 25#, I check the tiller on the tree and notice it is pulling down to 12". I don't really have to check the tape measure or the scale at this point only the bow as long as I stay south of the click. I don't use a tree much either honestly but lately I have been working with some guys learning and have gone back to the tree.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »
Steve
I already have one every time the draw weight goes to 50 lbs my shoulders click and my arms give out !
 actually the past few weeks there seems to be some healing going on in my body and maybe one day I will have a need for this contraption of yours !
Thinking maybe I can build without pain is a very emotional thought so trying to avoid thinking that but ..............
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »
Steve
I already have one every time the draw weight goes to 50 lbs my shoulders click and my arms give out !
 actually the past few weeks there seems to be some healing going on in my body and maybe one day I will have a need for this contraption of yours !
Thinking maybe I can build without pain is a very emotional thought so trying to avoid thinking that but ..............

I can relate to what you are talking about, I started splitting a big 18" hickory log a few days ago and just didn't have the stamina, back was giving out and running out of wind. After a few days my back started getting stronger and my wind seemed to come back. Its hell getting old!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:13 pm »
Sweet idea.  I'd want to set it to click about 5# before my draw weight. That way I can zero in on the 'critical' zone before she passes the threshold. That being said, it's usually pretty easy to 'feel' when you're getting there, but... bring on the science! Its how we learn,

Thanks Badger.

gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »
i have a draw weight clicker. she was born 7 years ago and kinda looks like me lol

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 01:31:41 pm »
what are kids for if not to help you with making bows. heck blackhawks training his kids to run a factory over there lol