Author Topic: New to building bows!?!?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline maddog314

New to building bows!?!?
« on: May 14, 2014, 04:45:13 pm »
Hello everyone! I normally post in flint knapping, but since my bow building brother (Mark Anderson) moved to scotland I decided it is my turn to start building bows. I am looking to do my first one and I would like to maybe start with a kit or somthing, but they seem to be a little more $ than I am able to do. Do any of you have suggestions? I do need a list of tools I will need as well. Thanks!
Micah

Offline Crogacht

Re: New to building bows!?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »
Depends how much of a hurry you're in :P If you want to get going asap, then I would go to a lumberyard and find a nice board of a suitable species. Otherwise you'd need at least a couple of months or so to get a stave prepared fresh from a tree.

As for tools, it rough order of usage:

Hatchet, drawknife, 1 or more rasp (nicholsons/farriers etc), scraper of some kind, sandpaper, round file. And some way to hold the stave securely.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »
Thanks I was hopping to maybe build a bow by Christmas. I do have a couple staves up in the rafter of my shop, they are a couple years old. I think one is hickory and the other might be black walnut. not sure if they are any good.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »
If you've already got staves I would use one of those for sure. I'm partway through my first couple of bows, waiting on string material arriving this week, and, while I haven't tried a board, the amount you'll learn working a stave with dips, knots, cracks, bends, holes etc. is immense and I personally think it's the best way to go.

Black Walnut is OK, but from what I hear you sort of want to have some idea of how to handle it before you attempt one of those.

Hickory sounds good I would go with that. Assuming the staves are "decent". If you could get some pictures up, people will have a much easier time letting you know if they're worth using or not. You need to show how straight the grain is and where knots etc. are positioned if possible.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:54 pm »
I will try and post some pictures this weekend! I do have some tools. I have a draw knife, hatchet, hoof rasp, and sand paper of different grains.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 06:47:18 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!