Author Topic: So Hypothetically.....  (Read 1609 times)

Offline DavidV

So Hypothetically.....
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »
So hypothetically if I had some sumac, what would I need to do to get a bow out of it? Wood database has it at .53 sg but I think this is much denser than your average sumac.  I can go about as long as I want by splicing but width is narrow. I think Dana posted one before but it ended up breaking later. Pithy so Hollow limb maybe?

Yeah I know it's not osage but if someone can make a bow from poplar....
Springfield, MO

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: So Hypothetically.....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
Narrow limbs are not good for any weak wood with a low SG. Hollow limbs would increase the pressure om the tiny bit of surface area even more. Go as wide and flat as you can. If you can't go any wider, go longer. What draw weight and -length are you aiming for?
Sumac is beautiful wood, but it is really soft. Such as pity.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:30 pm »
I think Simson posted a sumac bow hollow limb design that ended up chrysaling, so maybe stay away from that design, like Darksoul said. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:27:29 pm »
A few folks hereon PA built short lived bows from sumac. I'm not sure what kind of sumac they used. We have 4 or more varieties here. The European variety might be stronger. I know the European elderberry is stronger than what grows here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:43:48 pm »
I have a big sumac with an almost square cross section to it. figured I would give it a try as a longer flat bow for fun. I hope to see your success for some inspiration 
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »
Yep, just looked up a few. I haven't seen anyone make a successfull one yet but they weren't overbuilt bows either. DanaM's was 57" long and 1.5" wide pulling 38# @26". I think I may try it, my staves can go up to 1.5" and 80" long. Maybe with a real flat belly, a little heat and maybe a backing I can get it to hold together. I don't know, I'm bored.
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 11:01:41 pm »
Give it a shot. It will be interesting seeing how it works out.
 I remember Dana's sumac bow. It was looking good when it broke.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »
what kind of sumac,  tree of heaven is Chinese sumac and it makes a pretty decent bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DavidV

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:36 pm »
I think Smooth Sumac, I may be wrong though. It has tighter rings than I've seen with other sumac but that may be because of where it was growing. Thanks for the encouragement.
Springfield, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:57:11 pm »
   Shape the bow out, get it to floor tiller then weigh the mass. I will tell you how much weight you can expect to get.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:30 pm »
I'll need to pick up a digital scale first Badger, I should be building by the mass principal but this is all still pretty new to me.
Springfield, MO