Author Topic: Question about shipping bows  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Arrowind

Question about shipping bows
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:18 am »
how do you guys suggest shipping a recurve? If it won't fit in a 4" PVC pipe what do you do?

the biggest concern of course is it arriving in tact the second and I'll admit important concern for me is cost....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badger

Re: Question about shipping bows
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:03:46 am »
I buy those cheap 1X4's and build a frame line the bow with bubble wrap and staple or nail cardboard to the front and back.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:37:33 am »
Interesting.  have you had much trouble with bows getting damaged using that method?
I was half way thinking of building a box like that using 1/4" plywood... Just seems like it would get heavy real quick..
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:46:18 am »
I just shipped one in a carpet tube
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:49:50 am »
I shipped one made from old ranch board that I got from the local dump and 2x2 frame..worked fine.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 04:28:31 am »
Fishing shops sell long black pvc capped tubes over here which are perfect.  They are strong and light weight. Cheap too.
If you have some pretty big hooks you can mod them. Otherwise I have used foam insulation and cut out the bow shape.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:14:21 am »
I'm like Badger, I build a wooden crate for mine out of wood. That said it is no guarantee that some Muppet from the shipping company wont see "bow" on the shipping label and take it out and break it - happened to me twice now >:( 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:37 am »
I received my TG bow(R/D) in a box similar to what Badger mentioned but with luan plywood front and back.
Ship it USPS, PRIORITY MAIL. It will get to its location in 2 or 3 days with fewer postal handlers touching it. It will come with $50 insurance. Don't get more insurance unless you can prove the added value to the PO, which is almost impossible with a selfbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:33:44 am »
I use either two arrow boxes or two gun boxes joined at center to ship curves. I wrap the whole bow in shrink wrap first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:32 am »
Thanks for all the information guys.  I really appreciate it.   

Offline zenart

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:21 am »
The recurves I have had shipped to me were all wrapped quite well in bubble wrap and tape then inserted in simple cardboard box and stuffed with peanuts and/or newspaper wads.

If you can't find a long enough and narrow enough box, you can make one cutting panels joined together with usual shipping tape. You can even double up on the thickness.

All the bows I have ever received came intact without issue of any kind shipped in this manner.  And, you can always get extra insurance. Doesn't replace the bow but can give a little peace of mind.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:39 am »
Believe it or not it's not really the box that is the issue. I've had two bows quite clearly taken out of their packaging and both were snapped backwards. Belly broken back intact.......figure that one out?!?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:19 am »
Plastic gutter down-spout works well too. Might be tough to get a recurve into it though.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:07 am »
Carpet tubes for straight bows and I make my own out of heavy duty cardboard, which I re-enforce with thin plywood on the inside, for recurves and RD bows.  The ends are capped with wood that is stapled in really well, discourages tampering when you have to remove a dozen staples to get the end cap off.  Finally I tape the ends up with packing tape, doubles the fun of taking the ends off  :).
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com