Author Topic: First Effort with Home Depot Bamboo Stakes  (Read 2677 times)

Offline dmills

First Effort with Home Depot Bamboo Stakes
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:03:06 pm »
Picked up several packages yesterday and sorted out today.  Picked the best one and cut to about 34" with intention to fine adjust later.  Cleaned it up and did some  preliminary straightening.  Then I had to stop and grill some shrimp on the Bar-bee and after a couple of glasses of wine got back to the process.  All was looking good until I took one last shot at a small curve in the shaft.  Too much pressure and CRACK!  Lessons learned.

I grew up on a small farm not far from my home.  My parents sold the property years ago, but it is vacant now, waiting to be clear cut and bull dozed.  There is a large river cane bed on the property.  I wonder if anyone will miss a few shoots?

Also, there are quite a few Bois De Arc trees on the property.....

Offline Scottski

Re: First Effort with Home Depot Bamboo Stakes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:33:56 pm »
I would go cut some of both. Lol!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline dmills

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:51:34 pm »
Mmmm, I might do that.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:12:47 am »

Did it break on a node?  Yeah, get to the Osage before clearing guys do!

Wayne

Offline dmills

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:21:14 am »
Broke between nodes.  Probably already cracked there.  I straightened two more today without problems and assembled one.  Shoots great. 

Offline dmills

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:22:58 am »
As you know, I have been experimenting with Home Depot tomato stakes for cane arrows. I have not been impressed, but have turned out a couple of usable ones from those. I was considering "trespassing" on my parent's old farm site and raiding a stand of cane growing there.

Then this evening I spotted my neighbor from across the street dragging a huge stack of cane to the curb to be picked up tomorrow by the city on our monthly "heavy trash pick-up day." I quickly pulled a large number of usable canes from the stack and offered to help her trim for the next monthly pickup. These are green and just need to be dried in the attic of my little barn for a few weeks before using.

Of course, I might still need to trespass on the old farmstead and those Osage trees growing there, before the developers clear cut the site.  >:D