Author Topic: big leaf maple experiment  (Read 5539 times)

Offline bubby

big leaf maple experiment
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:09:53 pm »
I cut this thinking it was something else and was told it was basically junk wood, but I had it and I'm kinda hard headed ::), so a cut this out and tillered it this morning, it's around 24# @20" and 46" ntn three knots that go thru and one with a bit of branch still on, it shoots surprisingly well for the #, I may heat treat the belly and see what happens but I think I could with the proper design get a decent med weight bow out of it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

Re: big leaf maple experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »
You got a good bend on her bub. I'm not familiar with the maples as a bow wood, is big leaf a hard maple variety?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:00 pm »
thanks Greg, from what I've read it's a med hard wood with good strength and it's used for furniture turning, musical instrument's.....

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:21:20 pm »
You got a nice one out of " tree of heaven" and I'm sure that the maple wouldn't be nearly as soft.  I say  giv'er!

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »
I'm surprised anyone remembered that bow lostarrow, that was quite a while ago :D

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
that's awesome.
big leaf maple is about the softest maple there is. It is my new favorite wood for a hand drill- so if it's soft enough for that, I'm surprised you got a bow out of it!
For those that don't know , it grows mostly in WA and OR (CA?)- it grows remarkably straight and big diameter, with widely spaced branches. Grows fast too- rings can be 1/4 inch plus.

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »
thanks aaron, yeah this was in calif. I know I cant leave a nail mark in it but the soft maple I've seen at the hardwoods store ya can, and i'm not saying it's great bow wood but it's not complete junk as some think

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:23:28 am »
Nice! I remember these from my time in California. Never tried it , but did try big tooth maple in Utah. Seemed to be working out. 50" bow, about 45# @ 23". A little over 1.5" wide. When I took it to 24" I got a 5 piece explosion. Not all maple is created equal. Know your limits and overbuild the bow to compensate, or test it to little pieces.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:11 am »
When I first started cutting trees a big leaf was actually the first tree I cut a split and sealed. I soon after discovered vine maple growing all around me and was a lot easier to deal with. I have a few perfect staves of big leaf and was thinking of experimenting.
What width measurements did you end up with? Did it take lots of set?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:05:06 am »
Great, little experimental bows are fun.
Loads of trees near me with that Maple shaped leaf, but I don't know what species they are, made a couple of bows from them... the wood has that Maple colour and figure...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 12:53:34 pm »
Good job Bubby. I have made several bows from it that were in the mid 50's stiff handle, 68 long  1 3/4 (or slightly wider) at handle fade to 1/4 nocks, decrowned staves.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:15 pm »
I'm surprised anyone remembered that bow lostarrow, that was quite a while ago :D

I have a knack for remembering useful info. I tried making one out of the stuff , but over heated it and over stressed it. Failure. I planned on trying it again and you posting the bow  reassured me that I shouldn't chuck those nice ,pipe straight staves. Now.................... where did I put them ::)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:22:57 pm »
I remember when you cut that Bub.  I had a feeling we would be seeing it again. Nicely done Sir!  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:10 am »
yeah josh, I can be contrary and when i'm told something wont work I got to try it :laugh:

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:25 am »
That'll NEVER work  >:D >:D

Seriously though, I got a Big Leaf Maple stave to full draw once. Ended up like 25# :)  It sure is some soft stuff. Good luck Bub, if anybody can do it, you can.  Sure is plenty of em out your way. They grow thick in the creeks.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.