Author Topic: Twisted Osage, Giant Rings, Knots, oh my!  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Poggins

Re: Twisted Osage, Giant Rings, Knots, oh my!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 11:59:09 pm »
Got it bending now , 16" on the long string with the string adjusted short enough that I had to bend the bow a little to get it on , got close on centering the string first shot , about a half inch off to one side of the handle .

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 07:00:34 am »
Good job on that straightening!
Be aware that heat bending, AND steam bending, dries out the wood. You need to wait at least 24 hours before you stress the bow. This little bit of long string tillering won't hurt, but don't go further.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Poggins

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 09:16:45 am »
It had been 24 hours , straightened it the evening before and left it on the caul .
Well seasoned osage and chasing the ring for the back was a breeze , if there had been too much moisture in it when I put as much heat to it as I did it would have split in places ( had that happen before ) , sprayed lots of cooking oil on the back to keep the heat from scorching the back , took over a dozen clamps to get it straight .
Followed the grain out to the levers then avoided some checks that were still in the back out on the levers ( has some funny looking jogs where the working limb ends and levers start) , there is still one check in the center of one lever , I'll super glue it later when I'm finished with the heat .