Author Topic: Twisted Osage, Giant Rings, Knots, oh my!  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Viking

Twisted Osage, Giant Rings, Knots, oh my!
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:08:05 am »
Greetings,

A friend brought up a truckload of Oklahoma Osage. Ther are two logs that are 6' long and 6 in diameter at the small end. He also brought 8 or so splits that are all propeller twisted. The guy he got them from said they were straigt until last summer which was a particularly wet humid year and they all twisted in his barn. The ends show checking through the first 3-4 rings. We took the bark off one last night and discovered that the checks on that one ran the length of the split. The rings on that price were a 1/2 thick at one end and between 1/8 and 1/4 on the other end. One of the splits has a 1" limb knot in it, there appears to be enough wood on both sides to accommodate the whole, it is near the handle. Out if a truckload they are probably 2 maybe 4 bows if I billet some of them.

Not sure what to do, an experienced bowyer could probably make this stuff work.

I could probably steam the propeller out.

Looking for some thoughts and guidance on what to do with this wood. I would not have bought any of it had I been there. My friend didn't pay much. The guy through in for "free" a bunch of it. I know why, but want to give something to my friend for the trouble.

Thanks for any guidance you guys can offer.

Chris

Offline Viking

Re: Twisted Osage, Giant Rings, Knots, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:47 am »
One more thing. The giant ring wood, can a bow made from Osage have limbs that are one ring thick? Some of the wood had 1/2 to 5/8 thick rings.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:20:43 am »
Sometimes the rings are really thick at the base of the tree.. If your staves are long enuff you could cut some length off from the base end and see what you have, rings do get thinner as you go up the tree generally. Dont sweat the twist..a heat gun or steam will take that right out. Dont worry, theres bows in there  ;).... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:03 am »
Osage manipulated easily with heat. Actually I haven't made many osage bows that I didn't use heat to straighten or bend with heat. When you are ready to work the staves, remove the bark and sapwood and seal the back and ends well(shellac, carpenters both glue work well), rough out the bow and then you can make it workable with heat. "Character" staves will teach you a lot about building wood bows. Ask questions her, post pics and be ready to absorb all of the info you will receive.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 11:57:07 am »
Matt picked them out and I came down from the prices I had marked on them , the twisted and checked ones were from the only pile of osage I have that was seasoned .
He bought four and I have him the rest , I told him I was going to send some osage back with him .
You will probably want to split the logs down soon and watch for signs of borers .
I should have taken a pic of his load , there was one he got that I was saving back to cut down for billets that had a big knot about halfway down the stave and some of the staves have at least two bows in them .

Maybe you can post a picture and the folks here can guide you through it .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »
Here is a pic Matt sent me of one that they started on .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »
Chis , did you take the sapwood off down to the yellow wood ?

There are a lot of one ringed bows out there , osage is tough and forgiving , I've seen and have some bows that are only an inch wide and a lot are only 1 1/2" wide at the fades depending on style and length .

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »
Hey Chris..this is Chris ;) are y'all gonna make Marshall this year? If so bring em down and we'll get ya squared away there for sure...plenty of gurus will be there as ya know ;)

Oh...and congrats on the baby girl   :D ....hope to see ya soon ;)

Offline WoodBenderDW

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:31 pm »
Hey Chris,

Make yourself a nice bow out of it.  See if yours is better than Matt's and you guys can bring them both to the Forest City tournament in June.  Do you you know who this is yet?  ;)

Offline Viking

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:00:56 pm »
WoodBender - not exactly sure, but mentioning Forest City sure does narrow it down.

Offline Viking

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »
Blackhawk - yes we will be at Marshall.  I am thinking of driving two vehicles so I can bring the truck and the wood along.  We will be arriving sometime Thursday and staying through sometime Monday afternoon.

Offline Viking

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 05:10:53 pm »
Poggins - I hope I did not come across too harsh in my IP.  I am very green when it comes to bow making, and even greener in picking wood.  Thus the post here.  I figured you were on this board and put as much description in the post as possible so you would recognize the wood.  I have all the wood at my home in Indiana.  He and I worked out a trade.

That is me in that picture.  That piece has a lot of character, but has several significant checks.  I think there is a bow in it, but will wait until I can talk with an experienced bowyer at Marshall.

I will take some pics and post them here.

I am just about done with a blank for Matt from the wood he brought up.  very pretty wood, and very dense rings.  i took the bark and very thick sap wood off and discovered some checking.  I then took the next ring off (3/8 thick), which was a bear to remove, and most if not all of the checking that was concerning was taken off with that ring.

I have already encountered one live bore in one of the seasoned pieces that had bark on it.  I am going to try and take the bark and sapwood off the rest of the split ones and split the logs and do the same to try and get ahead of the bores.

if that big knot was placed a little differently it would make a very neat "see through" bow, but I fear it is too close to the handle... billets is what I was thinking as well.

Offline Viking

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 05:19:57 pm »
Kaon and Pat B - thanks for the input, it gives me hope that I can make it work.  I have heat treated one blank with Matt Wirwicki this winter, and I am working up my first form today.  Saw some neat tricks to heat out the propeller twist using a wrench, string, bucket and water to hold the counter twist until it cools

Offline Viking

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »
here is the piece i am working up for Matt B.  I am shooting for a 60#@24" bend in the handle bow 48 inches nock-to-nock, that will have flipped tips and sinew backing and dressed up with snake skin.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:29:52 pm »
Naw you didn't sound upset , my sanity was being tested by all the wind we had yesterday , woke up to 25-30 mph winds and they were up to 35-40 by noon and hot and humid .

I had never had my wood go south on me that bad before , I've had logs that I cut late out of dozer piles check on me but not staves and the warping was new also , I had cut it in early March and split it then in June I removed the sapwood and sealed the backs , late June and July the rains , humidity and heat set in and I hadn't been to the barn for a couple of weeks , some had warped so bad they shoved other staves from the rack . Some warped with bad deflex and propeller twist and some staves that I hadn't had a chance to remove the sapwood on checked bad .

Is Matt keeping some for himself ?