Author Topic: Farriers rasp use  (Read 4661 times)

Don Case

Farriers rasp use
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »
I noticed in the Classic photos that no one is using any kind of protection on the non/handle(?) end of their rasps. I have to tie a rag around the end or my rasp cuts the heel of my hand into ribbon(I heal OK but the blood get everywhere).What am I doing wrong?
Don

Offline Weylin

Re: Farriers rasp use
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »
huh, maybe you're putting it in a death grip with out thinking about it. I don't have anything on the handle of my farrier's rasp. It's not comfortable but I don't hurt myself with it. try adjusting your grip, or add a wooden handle to it. I keep telling myself to do that, I just don't get around to it. Lately I've been using my new microplane for a lot of the work that my farrier's rasp did. That thing is amazing.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:17:16 pm »
If you have enough scars you don't need a rag :o. Really though, I use a scrap of leather. My rasp is razor sharp and cuts me when I look at it!  Can't say you're doing anything wrong protecting yourself.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:19:58 pm »
In my case it's a case of well worn rasps and thick calluses.  I have to really slip up to get a scratch.  If I ever buy a new rasp I might be in trouble!  Josh

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:31 pm »
Ah, hadn't considered the age factor. My rasp is an old hand-me-down that Keenan gave me. I bet I'd have the same problem if it wasn't worn from use.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
Take an old whetstone to the handle or some sandpaper to take sharp edge off the handle .
One can take some of that rubber dip they use on tool handles to cover it also .

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:42:21 pm »
A farriers rasp,doesnt have tangs at the end of it.There is a section that is flat and that end is rounded slightly.This is where the hand is positioned and it is used as a guide and to keep even pressure.

The tang end hand,delivers the stroke power and the other hand  regulates the pressure and cut depth.It takes a little practice.Practice it on a regular piece of wood.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:46:07 pm by Traxx »

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »
mine used to cut my hand to but if you can i would wrap it in tape to give it a nice shape and put a cold shrink over it or a heat shrink but i used a cold shrink, its thicker

Offline Pago

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
Mine has a handle bought separately.  Both purchased at a ranch supply store.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:54 pm »
I put a good handle on mine and usually only use one hand to hold it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »
Maybe you are using it backwards?  >:D

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 03:56:33 pm »
Here's a picture. It's the end I have covered with tape that I have the problem with. The tape works fine, I just noticed that nobody at the Classic was using any protection so I thought maybe I was using it wrong. I do have some heavy duty shrink tube, I like that idea. Tape is kind of Mickey Mouse or Red Green(north of 49)

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 04:21:14 pm »
Doesn't make sense to take those teeth out of commission by putting tape over them.. I usually only use one hand on the rasp since I rarely clamp a stave but you just need to place your palm on the very end to apply a bit of pressure. You must be moving that hand around too much.
 Try cupping the end where there are no teeth and just use the heel of your thumb on the last inch or so of the rasp.

Offline brettd

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 04:57:10 pm »
I go Michael Jackson and wear 1 glove on the off hand (hvy leather)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
You must be moving that hand around too much.
 Try cupping the end where there are no teeth and just use the heel of your thumb on the last inch or so of the rasp.

Pat has it.