Author Topic: Bamboo backed Lemonwood ALB  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Bamboo backed Lemonwood ALB
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:33:59 pm »
i know there isnt much love on PA for the hard backed bows but id like to share this one with you guys.

a few months back my wife had bought some pine needle baskets from a man here in town, very will made. well they got to talking and it turns out Paul (the man that makes the baskets) is, or rather, WAS a traditional bow hunter. But do to his severe war related injuries he was no longer able to shoot the draw weight required by Oregon Law to hunt elk or deer.
He continued to talk archery when the subject of a stave was brought about, he claimed he had no idea what kind of wood it was. He knew it wasnt yew, osage, or hickory, but he knew his grandfather would not buy a bow blank that wouldnt make a good bow.
so i agreed to come over to his house and check out the blank.
As it would turn out his grandfather whom he was very close to, bought a lemonwood bow blank back in 1934 and though the blank had a slight lateral warp in one limb, the stave was in excellent condition!
I agreed to finish his grandfathers bow
would have made an excellent self bow, but due to the age of the wood i decided to take the safe route and put some bamboo on it. After all i only had one shot at this bow.

ive read articles about lemonwoon(degame) where its described as an excellent bow wood.
But have also read books where it says "its nothing special"

turns out, its an EXCELLENT bow wood. has the most fruity sweet smell. works like a piece of soap but is still relatively hard and dense. also refuses to take set.

from talking with Paul it sounds like he is going to try and make it out for one last season of elk hunting, carrying this bow. I hope he gets a nice Bull.

what an enjoyable build this bow was. Very good trade.

70" NTN
55#@30"
Western Rattle Snake Skins
Elk leather handle
bison horn nocks

this picture makes me laugh, i caught him right after he had taken his medication :D

Thanks for looking.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline missilemaster

Re: Bamboo backed Lemonwood ALB
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:40:21 pm »
Great looking bow man!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:44:26 pm »
Another home run!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:45:42 pm »
Its a looker!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:45:51 pm »
She is a real sweet one, Bryce! Nice job!! :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ajooter

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »
I like the story bryce.  You did great honor to that stave.  Always enjoy your work.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:38:10 pm »
Another beauty Bryce.  Top notch work on some top notch wood.  Nicely done in all respects.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline zenart

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:05 pm »
Can feel the love and see it in that one Bryce. Very cool man. Tiller itself is a thing of beauty. How wide at the fades/tips?
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 06:38:21 pm »
Hard backed bows are for girly bowyers.....

Looks good man!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 07:03:45 pm »
Very cool bow. I had the privilege to work an old piece of lemonwood with the hickory backed lemonwood ALB that I donated to the Tennessee Classic. I heard the horror stories over the years about lemonwood but found it to be a very nice bow wood. Maybe the long term aging has positive affects on lemonwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »
You are turning out some really great bows Pinenut.  Wonderfull stick. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:10 pm »
Beautiful bow man. I like your style
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 08:54:46 pm »
I think you're getting the hang of this bowmaking thing...  >:D ;) You are turning out some really fine bows. This one is no exception.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 08:59:30 pm »
Nice bow and cool story

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 09:41:55 pm »
Great story and a stellar bow Bryce, I'd say that piece of lemonwood fell into the right hands at the right time. One look at that beauty and it is obvious that you took a lot of care crafting a bow from his dads piece of history.
Nicely done!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.