Author Topic: Critical input welcomed!  (Read 3156 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Critical input welcomed!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 09:50:54 am »
That was one tough project for a "first bow". Even tough for an advanced bowyer. I'm not surprised it broke in the fade. Others have expressed their concerns about the handle fades, and for good reason. I'm sorry your bow broke, but I think you've learned a lot from it!

Start a new bow, a more simple one. Get the basics of shaping and tillering first, before you consider a difficult design such as a Holmegard or Mollegabet (as this one is called). Just a simple flatbow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Critical input welcomed!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 11:53:42 am »
This was not actually the first.  It was the 3rd.

I had beginners luck on the first.  It was a mollegabet too.  Made from a PINE board with fibreglass drywall tape as backing.  I was incredibly lucky as it stayed together and ended up at 31# @ 28".

Next one and this one were boards also . . . RO.  Both failing at handle fades.  This one made it much further than the previous before the dreaded "craaaack".

Am having fun and definitely view as learning experiences.  Unfortunately, I've always been a slow learner.  The critiques and encouragement have been positive influence on the experience.

Next week will see the start of another.

Stay safe,
Michael
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857