Author Topic: New guy chris looking for stone  (Read 2186 times)

Offline chrisdaggs

• Thanks you for letting me join the forum
New guy chris looking for stone
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:13:37 am »
i was just wondering where to find good stones to knapp. also what to look for when looking in the outdoors.
Learning new tricks is a great way to spend the day.

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: New guy chris looking for stone
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:13 am »
You know Chris, to answer this question we need to know more or less where you live - at least regionally to the degree you are willing to travel.

Otherwise the answer is simply creeks, rivers, road cuts and construction sites, quarries and areas where for one reason or another rock has become exposed.

As to know how to tell what is knappable, that is a very large question but look for rock that breaks in a what is called a conchoidal fracture. Check out this link: http://www.sandatlas.org/2013/03/conchoidal-fracture/

Actually for a real beginner, you may want to buy some rock from a vendor or try some beer bottle bottoms because not all rock you can find is ready to knap and/or not well suited for a beginner.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
Chris from Ada, Glad to see you here on the forum. There are some places to scavenge rock around here you just have to get out and look, but with gas what it is and time knapping at a premium, you may want to just order some. There are many places to order from, if you would like a list PM me
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »
Would that be Ada, Michigan?  if so I am not far and could help him out with some rock.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
I'm stupid - never looked at the profile! There's a guy in Quapaw with a heck of a quarry and lets you spall your own Keokuk, but rules don't allow me to post it here so you can send me a message if you are interested. There is also Kay Co Chert (called Florence A sometimes) that is also in the tall grass prairies of NE OK.

Knapper however has a good point - if it's going to cost you $40-$80 to go get rock that needs to be heat treated anyway, you could certainly get a large flat rate box of good heat treated rock from any number of people for the lower end of that scale.

Near you, there is this but I have no idea if the possible materials I highlighted are good:

http://www.brightok.net/~rockman/Images/OkIndex.htmy

Bromide, Springbrook deposit, also called Viola prospect, 3 mi. SW of Bromide, NW1/4 SW1/4 sec.l3 and NE1/4 SE1/4 sec.l4, T.2S, R.7E, prospect trenches, mineralized fault zone in Chimneyhill Limestone: ankerite, calcite (manganoan, gray to reddish-brown), dolomite, glauconite, hausmannite (tiny pyramids, veinlets), hematite, manganite, neotocite, pyrite, quartz (some chalcedony), rhodochrosite, siderite (Merritt 1941; Ham and Oakes 1944).

Pontotoc, W of Pontotoc, top and flanks of a hill, SW1/4 sec.l6, T.lS, R.6E, long trench, bog iron-ore deposit, Arbuckle Dolomite outcrops: goethite (cellular, fine needles lining cavities, rhombohedra after siderite), hematite, quartz (chert), wavellite (radiating needle crystals) (Merritt 1940a).

Thompson Ranch, NE of Mill Creek, NW1/4 sec.15, T.1S, R.5E., in clay: barite* (crystals, white with bluish interiors), calcite, goethite (after pyrite cubes), pyrite, quartz (chalcedony), siderite (Ham and Merritt 1944).

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chrisdaggs

• Thanks you for letting me join the forum
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:39:36 pm »
regionally I'm in Ada Oklahoma. rivers are abundant in the area but most are in wildlife management areas which have to have a access permits.
Learning new tricks is a great way to spend the day.

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:11:56 am »
There is some real nice chert very close to you. Look up "Frisco" chert.