Author Topic: 'Outer sinew'  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Tommytinker

'Outer sinew'
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »
So... Basically my question is:

Is it necessary to remove the outer 'husk' from tendon before processing?

If I were to pound the tendon and split the whole lot into fibres would this have a negative effect?

How does the outer part differ from the inner?

Many thanks.

Offline PatM

Re: 'Outer sinew'
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:23:40 pm »
The outer husk is the tendon sheath, it's not actually fibers and it flakes of anyway. By the time you get the sinew all shredded properly it will be gone.
 Any fragments that may remain are still compatible with the matrix anyway but don't have linear strength.
 The sheath of the tendon is what allows the tendon to glide in a lubricated environment. It is basically the seal which contains the "oil" which makes joints and tendons function smoothly.

Offline Tommytinker

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:46:58 pm »
That's very helpful.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:28:47 pm »
I first read this as "Otter Sinew"  I could not imagine gathering up enough otters to make the effort worthwhile to back a bow!

OneBow

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
I recently did my first sinew job with bovine sinew, and some of the strips still had a bit of sheath left on them.  The bits with the sheath do not lay super well with the other strips of soaked sinew, as they arnt as flexible, so its tough to get a good flat sinew job. However, I used the PatM sinew technique, wihich requires wrapping and reheating, and that brought it all together into a nice smooth matrix.  Next time, I will be diligent about removing more of the sheath, but I don't think the performance of the finished product was harmed.