Author Topic: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!  (Read 29855 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »
Well, PATM, B 50 is older than the FF variants but that's not why I use it. I don't feel any purer when using it either LOL. I use it 'cause the other stuff did not work for me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wildman

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2014, 11:53:43 pm »
I'm in the B50 hater camp also! D97 good stuff ,and I'm not opposed to a twisted 70# art. sinew string.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline PatM

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 11:58:22 pm »
Well Jawge, if you persevered with it the way you persevered through 14 broken bows you would probably figure out what the problem was.  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2014, 12:24:03 am »
you don't need overlays if you pad the loops, I add two 8" pcs of b-55 in the end of each bundle and no problems at all, i'm using d-97, just add the short strands and twist'em up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2014, 12:30:40 am »
I'm willing to ease the pain  for those of you who hate B-50. Just ship those spools to me. I can put up with the inferior performance. I'll share some of the spools  with Jawge, just to make sure I don't have to deal with enough to make me hate it.

PM me for my shipping address.  Glad to help.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2014, 01:15:10 am »
I use artificial sinew mostly because it's easily accessible. it stretches some and isn't the fastest, which I don't care about speed at all ! I really don't have a favorite or least favorite
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2014, 08:25:05 am »
If you just tend to build your standard straight limb bow of modest draw weight then B50 is perfectly adequate.  Once you move into the high string tension designs or high draw weight bows then using a FF material makes a world of difference.

Im not sure I agree there Marc. Anymore, I tend to build a lot of what you described and boy o' boy does it matter with that style bow. Matter of fact I've yet to build or shoot any bow that didn't have instant and obvious benefits. Yes some more than others, but there is drastic improvement in nearly all bows.

I wish we had slow motion video of the same bow upon release with a B50 string and a dyneema of any flavor. Then we could decide which Is better for a bow real fast.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:53 am »
Pretty sure that Tuomo posted video of the same bow with different strings.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2014, 10:23:15 am »
PatM, I have figured out the issue with the FF stuff. I'll share after church if  anyone is interested. Oh, and it was not the bow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 11:05:48 am »
Maybe ignorance is bliss in my case. I'm satisfied with the way my bows shoot with B-50 and don't even care to try FF strings. I have 2 selfbows made by Dano and both have FF(no overlays either) and they shoot well but IMO not that much different than my bows with B-50. I build selfbows because I like the simplicity of them. Moving "forward" ( ::) ) into the modern world is what chased me away from compounds and later traditional glass bows. The marketing aspects of them is really a turn off and knowing I can do it without the "crutch" of modernization is what keep me going in wood bow building.  I do use modern materials like B-50, modern glues, finishes and tools but I try to limit myself to staying as simple as possible  but still being effective.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2014, 12:01:11 pm »
I'm not a string maker by trade and wouldn't dream of it.. But I have made hundreds of strings for traditional glass backed bows.. Both for others and for myself..  I much prefer D97, 8125 and 8190, all fast flight materials.. Have made many B50 strings also but prefer teh FF materials so much that I don't even own a spool of B50 any more...  Neat stuff.   I like Fords too, but I bet Chevys are ok ---- maybe, lol...
Friends are the family we choose

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2014, 04:16:23 pm »
PatM, I have figured out the issue with the FF stuff. I'll share after church if  anyone is interested. Oh, and it was not the bow. :) Jawge

Its not "the" issue Jawgey, its your issue pal! Nobody else has complaints or problems to solve with FF materials. Im not tryng to sell you a dang thing by the way, I really don't care what anybody uses. Im just having fun!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

Its not "the" issue Jawgey, its your issue pal! Nobody else has complaints or problems to solve with FF materials. Im not tryng to sell you a dang thing by the way, I really don't care what anybody uses. Im just having fun!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2014, 09:47:38 pm »
PD, I could care what y'all use. For all I care you can use aircraft cable to string your bow.

I was just answering Tetsuoh question.
Not my fault you don't like the answer. LOL. I'm not on a quest to get people to like B 50. :)

I once had a prof. with whom I took several excellent courses. The last course ... I really did not like the text. At the end of the class  he asked what we thought of it so I told him.

He said, "Well you are in no position to judge. "

I said, "If you didn't want my opinion, why did you ask me?"

He said, "Oh."

I still got an "A"!

You can't beat it, PD! :)

Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »
 This isn't going to get into a pissing contest. A simple question was ask..."Give us your favorite string material and why". Lets keep on target.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC