Author Topic: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!  (Read 29854 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Give us your Favorite String Material and why!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:46 pm »
Fastflight, all the way though I'd like to play around with natural materials at some point.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 11:48:30 pm »
Looks like its you and me George.  8)   I'm comfortable with my old school ways.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 12:04:25 am »
Hold on Pat I'm with you! I use B-50 exclusively. Mainly because I have been too cheap to try FF. I know B-50 does the trick.  FF out performs B-50 i'm sure, but then again...so does a Mathews Solo Cam! >:D

Offline zenart

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 05:31:51 am »
Brownell D-75 = A responsive, snappy, FF. On release gives a satisfying tactile 'whip-wisk' sound. Love that!!
B-50 = mush
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 09:04:22 am »
     I prefer the d-75, I often weave 4 strands fastflight into my linen strings for insurance. I recently have been trying silk, lots of stretch, very similar to b-50. The natural strings are nice to shoot but are much fatter and a tad slower than the modern. Last year at the flight shoots I entered a primitive bow in a modern class and shot a fast flite string, 353 yards, I switched to a linen string and entered the same bow and arrow in the primitive class and got 343 yards, not a big difference.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 09:15:37 am »
I bought a bunch of B-50 back in the 90's in various colors I am still going through. I have a little FF in black and white that I used on some FG bows I own but have been reluctant to put it on bows I make. I have a couple under construction right now that I may have to experiment with, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:12 am »
B-50 works for me and I have a lot of it on hand.  My mind isn't closed to FF strings, I just haven't tried it yet.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 10:19:45 am »
If you just tend to build your standard straight limb bow of modest draw weight then B50 is perfectly adequate.  Once you move into the high string tension designs or high draw weight bows then using a FF material makes a world of difference.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 10:30:26 am »
Looks like its you and me George.  8)   I'm comfortable with my old school ways.  ;)
I'd have thought you'd be twisting 'em up out of beard combings Pat :o ::) ;)
The only reason I'm bald is 'cos I used it all up on bowstings  O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 10:41:58 am »
Yes, Pat, old school for us. Imagine that! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:35 pm »
Would there be any issues with switching to D97 on bows that have only had B50?  Would you need to go slow and "re-train" the bow since it would be used to some stretch? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 12:50:05 pm »
Too brittle, Del. I have however, added a strand or two to the string while shooting.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2014, 01:08:34 pm »
I should add that I build up the loops with 4 strands of b50 on my 8 strand strings.

Is there a buildalong or something that would show me how this is done? Does anyone serve their loops?
Thanks
Don

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2014, 09:25:30 pm »
Would there be any issues with switching to D97 on bows that have only had B50?  Would you need to go slow and "re-train" the bow since it would be used to some stretch?

If possible I would add tip overlays made out of a hard tropical,  pad the loops of the string and give it a wirl!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PatM

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2014, 10:29:38 pm »
B-50 is as modern as any other high tech string, it was just invented first.  ;D
 It does make me chuckle a bit that trad purists have decided that a type of Dupont plastic product is a throwback to simpler times.