Author Topic: String supplies one week away...  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Crogacht

String supplies one week away...
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:34:46 pm »
...better start another bow :D

My elm bow is waiting on string supplies so I can make up a string for it, so thought I would start on another bow.

If anyone (except Shamusrobert) can guess what this wood is, I'll be very impressed  >:D

Very small diameter tree, going to shape the belly and sides, then remove the worst of the ridges from the back and probably leave some bark on to make it look cool. Approx 70 inches long. Going to end up with a round-ish crossesction due to small diameter and removal of ridges so may as well try a longbow ;)

Here's some pics.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: String supplies one week away...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51:27 pm »
Lancewood?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:02 am »
You're too good ;) I guess it is kind of distinctive  :laugh:

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:01:29 am »
Good guess alright, crogacht make sure you work the belly down to the pith pretty soon other wise she will check on ya.
It's a shame nzap doesn't exist anymore I used to get a lot of stuff off them including string material.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:59:07 am »
I think it's already pretty dry, it was cut last September/October, so hopefully I'll be OK.

Yeah, there are a few online ones we can use, but the range is average and the delivery time isn't much better.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:24:59 am »
Do NOT 'remove the ridges on the back' - golden rule in bow making - one undisturbed growth ring from end to end of the back.

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 03:11:32 pm »
Hey Mike, I've had those high ridges crack in tension on me and have had better results by rounding/ decrowning  them off with my rasp then sanding smooth. Lancewood has long interlocking fibres and seems to be able to handle it, but I've still backed a few with silk but only after I've shot them in a bit first.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »
Yeah the worst of those "valleys" in between the ridges are probably a good half inch deep. I've already decrowned it based on Shamusrobert's past experience.